I'm in a pickle, any suggestions?

Hello medman forum. I'm new here, and feel like I died and went to heaven! Excited to be a part of the community. An intro: this coronavirus situation had me searching to build up a quarantine stash but my connections are also all quarantined and pretty dry. My local supply chain seems to have been disrupted by the virus. Enter my trouble, and forgive me for this because I'm ultimate crypto newb here. I'm trying to setup a bitcoin wallet to send money, but they need a pic of my state ID. The problem is my state ID just expired a week ago when all this quarantine stuff was going on and the DMV is shut down until further notice. I do have a valid US passport but can't seem to find anywhere that will accept a passport instead of a state ID to set up the wallet? I also was looking into using bitquick but all the local bank branches that support bitquick are also closed. Any suggestions, tips, thoughts on how to solve this and set up a wallet? Thanks all. TSC

Comments

• I do remember they need your ID, but it’s been so long since I signed up I don’t remember. I use Coinbase, but not that it matters, they all probably have similar requirements. Have you tried using the ID anyway? Like maybe it doesn’t matter that it’s expired, I think it’s just trying to prove your identity. If not you may be out of luck. I’d get a relative or very close friend to go in on it with you and use their ID to set up an account. Good luck and keep trying, where there’s a will there’s a way. That’s how we all found this place to begin with, haha. Stay safe!

• Take the photo with your current ID. I don't believe anyone will be able to, or want to, look at the expiration date. They're looking to cover themselves not definitively capture your identity.

• Maybe with the current situation going on they might accept your ID. I would send them a message and explain the situation.

I use coinbase. I've used them since before they required ID, just last year I needed to use some bitcoin and was forced to scan my ID to them. They would not take my expired license, even though it was only a few days past (tecnically still valid for 30 days).

I wouldn't let that discourage you, I would try anyway.

• Cool guys I will try to reach out and explain the circumstances. And I was surprised that they do check the expiration date! At least for Square's cash app. They have some machine learning tech where it realized it was expired just from taking the pic. I'll figure it out soon. Worse comes to worse I just wait a few weeks until DMV opens. Ok thanks again!

• I stand corrected. Machine learning is insane!

• Update. I was able to contact Square and they had me securely send them pics of my passport and a selfie of me holding the passport. Good to go!

• Awesome! Glad that worked

• One more question from the new guy to MM members: While Square accepted my passport, they said it will take them a few business days verify and enable my wallet. I further dug around with Coinmama and waited on hold with my bank for an hour to get them to allow me to use Coinmama with my debit card because they though it was a fraudulent transaction.

So I just placed my first order with MM, and entered the exact bitcoin to purchase into the wallet address via Coinmama, but due to the exchange prices, when my purchase was executed it was ~.0003 bitcoin, or $2.58 short of what I owed. Do you think this short fall is ok or an issue? I did just get a payment confirmation from mm so maybe all good? - TSC

• Coinmama will send the amount you ordered. If Bitcoin prices fluctuate it shouldn't matter. As long as MM sends the payment received email you're good!

• Yeah the digital currency fluctuates constantly, so whenever you place an order that’s like a snapshot in time of the price, which you technically have three days to pay. So always order more currency than you need to handle these changes, and when you actually pay anything left over just leave in your wallet, or cash it out after the payment goes through.

• Bad use of your passport .

• Thanks guys just trying to learn proper etiquette around here. I think I've got it all figured out now and am set up properly. Take it easy all! - TSC