Shipper newz

When will #3 debut ? 30

Comments

• @jmedboy...... it will be a new one. I've been working really hard to find someone, but keep losing them in the vetting process. It's a very unusual position to try to fill!

• @bigotis no answer for you there.....working on it!

• Thanx MM ! 30

• edited June 2020

@BigOtis ok it's killing me, why the 30 after your sentences? Not a big deal but just made me curious!

• @Jdtokes ive heard it’s used by journalists to end off their story, normally that’s after an article though, not a sentence.

• @Jdtokes l0l Same thought, i so wanted to ask but didn't

• I used to be a Linotype operator about 45yrs. ago and it does in fact mean end of story or end of transmission from from one of the wire services . 30

• @BigOtis The linotype machines are pretty interesting. My aunt worked for a newspaper but didn't explain much on the process.

Thanks for the response. That's something new learned for the day!

• Learned something. Neat. @BigOtis

• edited June 2020

Linotype machines are akin to steam locomotives in that each one has its quirks and foibles during operating .You get to know all the noises and what to do if something isn't working right and your working with hot metal.
    Unfortunately I barely worked on one for 3 yrs
    when "hot composition " was replaced by "cold composition " or computer generated type faces that were photographed enlarged or reduced as needed then a photo sensitive plate was made from the negative,a much easier way to display the written word. 30

• edited June 2020

30- has been traditionally used by journalists in North America to indicate the end of a story or article that is submitted for editing and typesetting. It is commonly employed when writing on deadline and sending bits of the story at a time, via telegraphy, teletype, electronic transmission, or paper copy, as a necessary way to indicate the end of the article.[1] It is also found at the end of press releases. We used it in journalism classes in college.