Advice on flying withe edibles.

Going to be flying from NJ to Fla and want to bring some edibles because I thought they would be the easiest to travel with. I smoke flower and eat edibles no vapes. Do u think I can just put some edibles in a skunk bag and throw in my check in bag?

Comments

• I don't know their policies on food and drink, but I'd think you could just eat a brownie or something right before you go through security. Should be enough time release to get you for such a short flight like that. You're not going overseas, so it shouldn't be more than four hours I'd guess...

• edited March 2021

If you want to be sure about it, check that bag.

Basically, I think you're probably fine to carry it; however, you're at the whim of whoever is working the scanner or random search (if you get selected). If you get a stickler, or just a jerk, you could lose your stash. Legal ramifications are unlikely, though.

• @georgetirebiter thats what I am afraid of if I put it in my carry on. Afraid to fly with flower so thoughts were to pack some edibles in a smell proof bag and put it in my checked bag.

@OzBaxter definitely will eat some before the flight but want some for when I am there. Don’t have connection to get any weed there.

• edited March 2021

Maybe, @LIT, if you pack it like a toiletry. I guess it depends whether we're talking RSO or chocolate chip cookies, right? 3 oz. or less should not be a problem, although I'd use a clear bag and label it with something from an established/reputable-looking CBD company.

Now, I'm on to something...use packaging from CBD products. In the (unexpected) event that they call attention to it, it is highly unlikely they'd deny you your CBD goodies. I think???

Including one of those notes to law enforcement, so popular with CBD products, cannot hurt you, just in case...

• @georgetirebiter good advice with CBD packaging. Gonna brings some gummy’s and that was the plan to throw it in with my toiletries. I am a daily smoker and going 5 days without would be torture with my anxiety issues. Appreciate your feed back my friend!!

• edited March 2021

I'm not going to advertise for any other "bud" company but if you Google cbd flower I've got great jars I travel with, the labels are great and the flowers are each unique in their own. I owe my land and air travel to these little "vault"s ,my advice is grab 2 or 3 legal in every state hemp flower jars and go ,the most that's going to happen is you lose your stash. This has personally worked for me but the south's a funny place "been here my whole life" you never know who your gonna get in that line. If you want to be sure check your bag. Wishing you the best. DWELLER ps I only travel with 1/4 or less ,good luck.

• The vault 'o buds for CBD does have excellent jars. I will shill for 8 Horses Hemp here because it's not in any way competing with @medman. They have great, completely legal, industrial hemp flower. If you've never smoked Abacus, the purple CBD flower that tastes like licorice in heaven, you really owe it to yourself. It's as pleasing to smoke as the best THC varieties. And I do get a buzz off it, just not like regular cannabis. Note that 8 Horses does not put it in jars, sadly.

• you should have no problem flying with edibles. take them out of any packaging they are in and put it in a ziploc bag. keep it with any other snacks you have because you are technically supposed to pull food out of your bag during security.
    i have also flown with vapes and wax, no problem. just keep it with toiletries.

• edited March 2021

I flew out of NOLA to FL in November, had 5 carts, a few joints and lots of edibles. When my bag went thru TSA it was flagged and pulled aside. They searched it, pulled everything out bc of something they saw during x-ray. The issue...a lighter. The confiscated the lighter and just put everything else back in the bag. They really dont care as long as its not too much. Putting it in different packaging as suggested wouldn't hurt. Gives them no reason to "confiscate" it (take it and use it themself later)

When I fly from Cali back home to NOLA, I load a duffle bag up with as much as a can carry. I looked up rules of flying with bud and found that if rec. smoking is legal in the departing city, then the same laws in place (can only carry 1 oz at a time, "X" amount of carts and edibles, etc) are the same with the departing airport airport. Never had a problem. Also NEVER put stuff in your checked bags if possible. Easy way for your shit to get "lost" (stolen by TSA).
    https://www.thrillist.com/vice/how-to-sneak-weed-onto-an-airplane-flying-with-pot

• edited March 2021

Went on a cruise a few years ago. Security probably not as strict as flying. I bought a few containers of THC gummies and carefully removed the foil seal on a bottle of vitamin gummies and replaced them with the edible gummies and carefully glued the foil seal to the rim of the bottle....no problems.

• @LIT Sorry boss, I misunderstood your questioning lol

• Thanks for the feedback. Definitely put my mind at ease. Might have to even sneak a couple buds in there to. Smoking is my preference.

• No problem. You should be fine. Ive done it plenty and was worried at first but after reading articles such as the one I posted was a little more at ease. The popularity of CBD and them being very similar also makes it a bit easier as others have also mentioned. Before I researched it, I had always thought that putting it in checked bags was safer than carry on but now see it is the opposite. Which makes sense seeing as if in the checked bag, you run the risk of having it stolen or getting busted during a bag search whereas in the TSA X-ray lines, they're really looking for weapons and bombs and really seem to care less about a little recreational bud here and there.

• edited March 2021

I would give it a try if it were me, for sure.

nerve wracking to be sure. but man.. even just a gram of your finest cannabis? can you imagine how much of a difference that would make? around day 4? lol

edibles are good and all, but yeah... i don't think i could do it. (ok, of course i could, but i'd rather not). i've asked myself this question before and if i'm going somewhere i don't have access to flower, then i'm sorry.. but i'm fixin to bring some. somehow :lol:

• edited March 2021

Yeah for bud, its easiest to just pre-roll some j's and to just slide them into a cig pack if you smoke. If you dont smoke, it may be worth just getting an empty pack and using it. Never once have I had a TSA officer look in my pack of cigs and im sure the Xray machine cannot tell the difference between ground tobacco and bud (hell I cant even tell what the shit on the screen is when it is MY bag!). The earlier suggestion of putting nugs in CBD packaging sounds legit as well. I mean CBD nugs and THC nugs look and smell the same to the untrained eye. It's doubtful a TSA agent will go thru the hassle of proving that it is one or the other given that it is a small amount (Less than an oz). Their goal at TSA is to look out for weapons and terrorist acts and those trafficking shit it seems and other than that trying to move the lines along. If its a small amount of what may or may not be weed, it's not worth their time to make a big deal about it. They dont get paid enough to deal with such a headache

• I travel from Denver to NC every month going to Denver no problem leaving Denver is the issue. You Can not have anything on your person with the new scanners they pick up everything.I pack my edible thc gummies in with my gummies in their resealable bag and the bag has been pulled out looked at but never opened.

• @cmweems1964 oh damn, that's crazy. I figured that since it was legal in Denver, it would be no big deal in the airport (that's how it has been when I leave L.A to goto NOLA). I wonder why they are so strict?

• @cmweems1964 thank for that info. Did u put it in your carry on or checked bag? My plan was to to put it in my checked bag.

• it was in my carry-on along with other snacks in a gal zip lock they pulled it looked at it and put it back twice out of the last 5 times I have been thru Denver. On my first trip i put my gummies in a vac sealed plastic bag in my lower pants pocket they saw it on the scanner and I had to remove it and throw it away no questions asked i about shit my pants that trip but lesson learned dont carry anything on your person!!!

• I now travel with medmama medicated starburst as there wrapped like regular hard candy and its even more unnoticeable

• @cmweems1964 i would have shit my pants when they found the gummies!! I am nervous about traveling with them. Back in day I traveled with weed all the time but times have changed. I am 54 and getting paranoid as I get older 😂😂. Thanks for the advice my friend!!

• just keep edibles with your other food and don’t have it in original packaging or anything sketchy. you’re not supposed to have anything in your pockets anyways.
    i flew out of denver with like 10g of wax and several vapes and had zero problem.

• the new scanners detect everything including organic material. i had a paper insert in my ball cap and they asked to remove my hat to check it.