LA Pop Rocks

LA Pop Rocks, greenhouse flower from MedMama.

You know how some of the site's menu descriptions begin, "This strain is a bit of a mystery..."? That would fit here, with LA Pop Rocks, a.k.a "Pop Rox."

Here's a strain description, from Leafly:

Pop Rox is an indica-dominant hybrid strain from a private seed collection in Las Vegas. True to its name, Pop Rox carries a sweet, candy-like aroma that translates to a fruity flavor on the inhale. Relaxing, euphoric effects give rise to creative clarity while stress and bad moods melt away.

And another, from CannaSOS:

Pop Rox cannabis strain is a 70/30 Indica hybrid that’s a phenomenal member of the Purple family. The appearance is mesmerizingly lilac, and the flavor takes after its name - it really does taste like the fizzy childhood candy. The scent is a well-matched fruitiness with an added tang and spiciness. ... This strain can treat insomnia, chronic stress, mood swings, and eye pressure. Great for daytime or evening usage.

Is the MedMama offering a Los Angeles-specific variety of "Pop Rox"? Is it a different strain entirely? I decided to try it because I like zippy indica-sativa hybrids.

Note that the MM strain description says that it's "a hybrid cross of Z Animal x Triangle Kush Bx2."

Time to open the package.

The budlets will not win any awards for their visual appeal; it's oddly reminiscent of high school weed that someone obtained under dubious circumstances from their uncle's amateur grow operation. The aroma is pleasing, nonetheless. And as I open the bag and observe the nuggets, more medium than small, I confess that I judged its appearance a bit harshly. It is not bad looking, just rather ordinary. It looks dusty and sleepy, like Lemon Tree, an herb I was very fond of, also a MedMama selection. The trim looks to have been done by machine, judging by the uneven leaf distribution around larger buds. I am not an expert on these things, however. I'm more interested in the herb's taste and medicinal properties. First I grind it.

How many times will I express wonder at the infinite spicy possibilities in the cannabis inflorescence? It never gets old. Floral elements are dominant, and I like that about it. Like having a lilac bush in the grinder. Terpenes are much more important to me than looks and this one very much delivers. Taste is wonderful, too. Reminds me of one of my favorite-tasting strains, Lavender.

As my afternoon progresses, I realize this herb agrees with me. I'm focused, analytical, and yet relaxed. Relaxed is not my normal modus operandi. So, cheers. I think this herb is badly named and needs a better agent. I will be smoking it gladly. NOTE: For THC aficionados, this is not your bag. It's a light, mellow stone. Great afternoon-with-conga-drums-and-jazz- flute kind of feeling. Or select your appropriate equivalent.