DJ Short Blueberry

This strain almost strikes me as unnecessary to review. Everyone knows it, right? The strain is old. Old is not the word. It's iconic. An evolutionary leap. And it smells like berries.

On the other hand, I didn't really know what I was ordering, when I ordered it. So maybe others don't either? I confess I thought it was a product from a DJ. (My dad was a union guy, musician's local in Portland, OR; full disclosure--I do not like DJs. Live music is best!)

So, to begin: DJ Short Blueberry, the strain, is otherwise known as True Blueberry, and it is distinguished from other Blueberry strains because...it is the "original" blueberry strain. Apparently there are many offshoots. DJ Short the breeder is one of the legends in cannabis breeding. His real name is John and he lives in Oregon.

Leafly says this about DJ Short Blueberry's genetics: "...[they] stem from DJ Short’s travels through Central America and Southeast Asia, where he gathered robust landrace genetics that would later blossom into some of the most revered cannabis strains on the planet." This portion of his bio, which makes him out to be America's cannabis Johnny Appleseed in reverse, is a matter of myth. Which is not to say it isn't true, just that I have not read the Grantland piece on him, so I can't comment. (Yes, there's a longform article on him, The Willy Wonka of Pot, 5,000 words...I will be reading it this weekend.)

He began breeding in, I believe 1978, before it was cool, and made a berry strain when regulars like me had no idea this was even possible...He "...would scratch the stems or the half-developed leaves and sniff them. Sometimes he’d get floral or fruit notes, sometimes gear oil and gasoline." (Source: The official Blueberry webpage; yes, this strain has its own website where you can learn when new DJ Short strains will be released and where to buy the seeds. If you are like me, you will lobby long and hard for Loud and MedMama to get some of these lesser known strains, with names like Gnarly Fruit, Whitaker Blues, Vanilluna, and Happy Pussy, they really, really have to be good. I am also intrigued by his Flo varietals, which began as an experiment to find "a psychedelic, motivational herb.")

Trial and error led to Blueberry in 1981 and the rest is history. No Blue Dream without this, but that's lazy of me. Look around at everything with Blueberry in the parentage and imagine a world without it. That's why this is important. I get to work, grinding the herb and filling a rice paper cone. One last thing I like to note before smoking is the weight of the bag: 7 grams.

I walked the dog, taking care to bring the cone in a special tube. It is marvelous, exactly as promised. I still have most of it, actually. I feel guilty because I no longer care about telling you, dear reader, how much I like this. I am out of money until the next pay period. Please do not hoard this precious resource!

Conclusion

There is weed that gets you high; then, there is weed that turns your world upside down, slaps you in the ass, and says, "wake up!" This is the second one.

Comments

• Hell yes @georgetirebiter another kick ass review! Can’t wait for tomorrow at about 5’oclock, mines should be here :-) never tried this strain and I love blue strains so I’m literally vibrating in my seat right now!

• I ordered DJ short Blueberry the last time loud had it around, approximately June/July of last year.....It was terrible. It was stringy, loose, zero bouquet or aroma and quite amateurish cultivation. Like it was a premature harvest.
    Maybe this new batch is a 2nd generation with the kinks worked out. Georgetirebiter has inspired my curiosity to give this strain a 2nd chance. I like smoke that sends you sideways......but I'm interested in experiencing an upside down, ass-smacking wake up call. Sounds like a good time and medically beneficial.
    Placing order immediately. The buds are selling quick.

• Thisguy, I'm glad I hadn't experienced it that way!

A lot of chatter I read about getting the "real" Blueberry. Maybe it's the cultivator, too.

• Update: One day later

This is an unusual, lovely, herb for me. Its effects seem to evolve throughout the day.

The immediacy of it, I like: at first, it's a zippy, cerebral sativa; later, its effects are more hybridized. It calms but does not inhibit one's energy levels. Finally, the stoniness evolves into an opiate-den laziness (some would call it "couch lock" but I'm harder to put down than an elephant during the day). So, for me, it's got sedative properties and stimulant properties, partitioned, like one of those density columns you make in school with water, oil, corn syrup...sprightly enthusiasm on top, zen working consciousness in the middle, bottomed out with a lazy blue mood, suitable for brushwork, on a canvass or a drum.

It's this level of complexity that makes me admire the strain more than I thought I would. And for the first smoke of the day...it's quite the wake-up call: to my spirit, to my conscience, to my soul. That it tastes like blueberries is a nice bonus.

Note that I don't (necessarily) recommend smoking this herb all day long. You'll have many biological occurrences, including laughter. Then you will experience sleep and possibly sex dreams. This herb cannot eliminate sadness but it tries.

• @georgetirebiter I can agree to the potency of this strain. It smacks your ass down for sure... I lik—love it!

• Correction to my review: DJ Short's real first name is Daniel, not John.

Short is a pen name.

• I will check it out! @georgetirebiter thank you for the info!

• One final note: Leafly's strain description of DJ Short Blueberry is misleading. It says, "DSBs genetics stem from DJ Short’s travels through Central America and Southeast Asia, where he gathered robust landrace genetics that would later blossom into some of the most revered cannabis strains on the planet." DJ Short did not travel the globe, except in the sense that he collected cannabis strains from all over the planet, including new world sativas and thai strains. He used these seeds early in his breeding projects but did not seek them out in their native habitat...

• Just received DJ Blueberry sample j. I'm saving for later this evening. Can't wait!
    (maybe Loud will offer it again soon)
    Blueberry genetics are my FAVORITE!
    Big Thank you to Loud&Co

• I agree, dsb was awesome!

• Blueberry is amazing as usual! Perfectly blended high.