Dugout Dynasty Mini Dugout Review

edited May 2020 in Product Reviews

Back when I was in high school, a friend that I used to smoke and disc golf with had a small wooden dugout. It was a very convenient way to carry and smoke flower because it had everything a person needed all in one small package, it had a storage area and a brass bat that sprung up when the lid was slid to the side. The storage area for ground up flower was small but could still hold a decent amount of flower. The bowl size on the bat was small, and held only a small amount, but was enough for one person.

When I started smoking again, I needed something small and portable. After searching around for a while, I found two different dugouts that caught my eye. One is the "zombie survival kit for smokers", which I'll review another time (I haven't had a need to use it since the mini is almos, and the other one is the "Dugout Dynasty Mini Dugout".

Dugout Dynasty dugouts come in 3 different colors, black, chrome, and nickel. They also come in 4 different sizes, mini, small, medium, and large (the large dugout holds 1/4 oz.). The small, medium, and large dugouts all come with a pocket (indentation in the side) which saves on weight, but works great as an ashtray or a tray to break up more flower. There's also some that have been engraved designs on the face side of the dugout. I'm not sure if they have an option to have a personalized engraving, but I'm sure a quick e-mail to them, it could be a possibility.

The mini, which is the subject of review today, is made from milled aluminum. The top has an adjustable lid closure as well as an o-ring around the flower storage compartment to ensure no smells escape as well as keeping your herb fresh. The bottom of the storage chamber is milled to fit the end of the stainless steel dugout bat to ensure you can load every last amount of flower when you get to the bottom (It would be a sad time if it ever got that low!). They claim that the storage compartment holds 1/32 ounce or 0.89 grams. I haven't weighed the exact amount that fits inside the storage compartment, but it seems like a lot, especially when packed down.

The lid is held into place by a spring loaded locking pin to ensure the lid doesn't pop open. The lid can be unlocked by sliding the locking pin button on the side of the dugout down to release the lid, allowing it to rotate. On the opposite side of the lid pivot, there's a storage slot for the stainless steel bat. There's also a hole that goes all the way through from top to bottom for the cleaning rod.

The bat is machined from stainless steel and fits along all edges inside the flower compartment. It also has a sharp edge (not too sharp to cut yourself) around the end so it can cut through flower to ensure an even load in the end of the bat. The bat does get hot, but not too hot to handle, usually by the time I'm done smoking, I can still touch and hold onto the bat. If it does get hot, I place it on a cool surface and the heat seems to dissipate quickly.

The stainless steel poker is a very nice addition to this dugout. It has many uses and can be used for more than cleaning the bat. The head of the poker can be used to pack flower into the storage compartment, can fit inside the bowl of the bat to help pack any stray bud from falling out, and can be used to stir the storage chamber.

The dugout also comes with a small drawstring bag to keep it in. I also keep a small bic lighter in there with the dugout so that I always have a lighter handy. I'm not sure about the bag, but I can't detect any smells coming out of it once it's been closed tightly. I also can't smell any bud from the storage compartment. There is a slight smell on the side with the bat and is unnoticeable at a small distance away from the lid. Inside the bag and inside my pocket, I can't smell anything from it.

The overall dimensions of the mini is: 5/8" thick x 1 3/4" wide x 2 1/2" tall.

So far I love it! I haven't had any issues with it at all. Oh wait, yes there is one issue, and that's just trying to decide what flower I want to keep in it! I've switched them out a few times and usually just fill it with the joints I got in as freebies. I usually just break up a small amount in to the end of the bat of new strains so that I can test them out.

One other minor note, I did cut a small section of a screen and shoved it into the end of the bat with the poker about 1/8" below the bottom of the bowl so I wouldn't have to worry about ash and unburned flower coming all the way through.

I'll post some pictures of the dugout in the comments, but the pictures are from the dugout dynasty website. I guess in my stoned state last night, I inadvertently deleted all the pics I took before testing out vanilla frosting. Sigh. Not much difference in pics though, except mine is used and their pics are of an unused item.

As always, Thanks for reading!

Comments

• edited May 2020

Dugout Dynasty Mini Dugout Pics

imagers-w-600-h-600-1" alt="" />

imagers-w-600-h-600" alt="" />

imagers-w-600-h-600-2" alt="" />

imagers-w-600-h-600-3" alt="" />

• @Jdtokes Just ordered one of these based on this review. It looks really well made and seems far superior to the wooden ones that are available elsewhere. Thanks for the tip!👍

• @coldstone I love mine. It's really sturdy and smokes well. Did you get the mini also? I hope you enjoy it, please let me know what you think of it.

• @coldstone Oh by the way. Usually when I get in freebie joints, I undo the end and put them in the dugout, that way I can hit on it when I want and I don't have to worry about putting a joint out. Depending on how much is in the joint, I can usually fit 2 to 2 and a half in the storage area, packed down of course.

• @Jdtokes I think I got the small, which holds about a 1/16. Looking forward to it. Will let you know what I think.👍

• So usually im a bong dude but ever since I been ordering off of here I only hit J's but I just went to a smoke shop and bought abong. I went through like 15grams in a short time smoking joints I need to conserve way more so bong it is, but Ill definitely consider this option as well