Are vape carts and edibles really indica, sativa, or hybrid?

I had always thought that whatever strain was used as base for the distillate for carts, edibles, etc. meant that the resulting cart or edible would carry tendencies of whatever strain was used at origin (i.e, a batch of vapes was made with distillate from indica flower, the vape will produce indica feelings) but recently read where there is really no such thing as a vape or edible being labeled as "indica", "sativa", "hybrid" as during the process, the THC is stripped down to a raw level with no terpenes and the only reason the are labeled as either indica, sativa or hybrid is because of the synthetic terpenes added after the fact (the maker adds certain terpenes to raw distillate to make it taste closer to those strains).

Is it true that there really is no such thing as an indica, sativa or hybrid vape or edible and that they all have the same effect while the added terpenes are just for flavor? Does the addition of the synthetic terpenes recreate the actual effect from the strains that they are meant to replicate? Or does using a hybrid, indica, or sativa as the base for the raw distillate make a difference?

Comments

• I notice different effects. YMMV

• Edibles just give me a different body high compared to any distillate. But for my cartridges I definitely feel the indica vs sativa effects.

• My body is very sensitive to sativa's so I'd have to say yes there is a difference. Different cart's do different things.

• Yeah, I mean I have certain vapes that couch lock me and that put me to sleep, while others keep me energized. So I guess the added terpenes have that effect?

• It's an interesting concept that I hadn't thought about. I'm pretty certain that THC isn't the only thing that is mind altering in cannabis. Otherwise, I wouldn't get super stoned when I smoke a new strain.

• edited April 2021

@NOLA504 great question! I’ve been looking for clarity on this too. I’ve tried full spectrum and carts with live resin. Those were purchased a few yrs ago in Cali at a dispensary. I’ve ordered a few diff syringe refills from Mama and for me the effects are milder than I’d prefer but seems very similar besides flavor. Since I’ve stuck with shatter for my concentrates. Most definitely big differences amongst those. I’ve tried diamonds and wax too, not my cup of tea unfortunately. I’m really big on flavor, terps, and effects as to how I rate and purchase strains. Guess that’s why I primarily prefer smoking/vaping fresh ground herb 😎

• @superman38NC Thanks.

It's just something I never really thought about until recently reading the statement of how once broken down into raw THC labeling it as indica, sativa or hybrid doesn't mean anything. The comment had a wide variety of opinions and responses but to my surprise, a majority of them agreed with the statement. Was interesting to think that I had been under the opposite position and hadn't even thought about it.

I buy a variety of different strains for a variety of different moods and occasions. Some for sleep, some for events where I I need to be energized and social, some for times when im looking for a smoke but neither fall asleep couch lock nor be wired so as when I need to try and get to sleep I'm too amped and can't get to bed. (basically night time-morning, afternoon). I was able to find strains in each of those categories I mentioned that didn't overwhelm be and get me too too stoned to where I couldnt function and didn't induce other ill effects such as paranoia, anxiety and dizziness.

After finding the strains I found, I often would buy vape carts in the same strains because I knew how I would react and what time of day or occasion they'd be fitted best for when needing to use discreetly. I did the same with edibles, would buy sativa for day time use, would buy indica for night and had hybrids that id use morning or mid day. For the most part, I have found that the labels on these carts and edibles hold true. If I take an indica gummy, I find more relaxed, tired, and able to sleep better while I find the sativa gummies don't induce such drowsy effects. Same with vaping, The indica strains, for the most part, induce drowsiness and cause be to fall asleep while vaping hybrid and sativa will have me usually just ready to socialize and do daytime stuff. I have always avoided strains of certain carts because I've read where they have a tendency to be either super duper potent and will knock me on my ass or those with greater tendency to induce anxiety or paranoia. Makes me wonder now if while those flowers may induce such ill side effects, the vape carts of those same strains may not cause such an adverse effect.

I don't know:
    if it's just a placebo effect that I am having.

If the people who say that after reducing the THC to a raw state negates any indica, sativa, or hybrid properties are wrong.

If after distilling to raw THC and then adding terpenes artificially causes the distillate to regain the properties regarding indica, sativa or hybrid.

If as @Sixwaychili said, that other cannabis substances are present in the raw distillate that cause the different hybrid, indica or sativa effects when taking edibles or vaping a cart.

• I think it depends how they're made.. i do think there's some validity to your first statements, but i also think there are ppl out there doing solventless and different methods of making edibles, concentrates, just about everything... with an eye towards preserving the original terpenes.

I HAVE also heard of plant-derived terpenes being used; some of these vapes (not necessarily from here but idk) we prolly do not even realize the terps being used are not even from Cannabis. altho i know they do have cannabis derived ones also.

i think at the end of the day it all depends on the source, and further, the process they use. it's especially interesting bc you're also talking different categories for edibles and vapes. (but still comes down to the process).

great thought provoking post @NOLA504 !

• I would add here that I haven't tried a BUNCH of different vapes from here.. but I HAVE generally found their effect to line up w/ what i would expect. the couple i've had which were heavier indica did hit noticeably harder than the Sativas, which i typically used during work week.

• I'm going to start experimenting with a levo and decarbing at lower temperatures and combining infusions at low temps for sativas and making multi-oil concoctions. I'd appreciate any advice if someone has already walked this path.