Flushing the pots

Back when I used to grow, I used a semi hydroponic medium. The last few weeks before harvest, I would flush the pots with clear water. The plant doesn't really need fresh nutrients in the final stages. This gets rid of fertilizer residues that build up. I am currently experiencing this residue building up in my throat and sinuses. Does anyone use this method today?

Comments

• No flush needed if you grow organic 😁
    Check out Kaligrown budz on youtube he has an awesome channel

• I would have to disagree. Fertilizer that's organic is certainly better, but it's still something I don't want in my throat / sinus. Besides flushing is simple, you just use plain water and it saves you money. Does Medicineman have any organics?

• I mean real organic not something from a bottle or shaker.

• Do you know if I can get anything like this on this site? I don't have the space to grow my own anymore

• @Ant123, watch for descriptions of the grower/growing techniques in the occasional Loud selection. There's one grower in particular that gets a shout out for hydroponic work and another one that is discussed with respect to "nothing but sunlight" outdoor product. You won't find that kind of detail in most of the menu descriptions, though.

• Ive ordered a handful of products on the site that’s stated organic within the description.

• @Ant123 always have to flush!

• @Ant123
    I would definitely disagree with your disagreement. I've studied soil quite extensively for my organic lawn business.
    With chemicals, they dissolve in water and go right up the roots as the plant takes in water. The plant takes what you give it, so it's quite a science of giving the plant exactly what it needs. This ignores and poisons the soil as well, so it cannot do the jobs intended.

With organic fertilizer, you are fertilizing the soil. It's actually incorrect to call chemicals fertilizer as they do not make the soil fertile. They are plant foods.
    With organics, the bacteria in the soil, the same bacteria that fights plant diseases and the insects diseases attract, eat fertilizer and carbon, along with bad bacteria.

They reproduce as quickly as every two hours and have a short life span.
    When the bacteria dies, the plant takes the bacteria in it's feeder roots along the drip line (around the widest part of the plant, where rain water drips)
    The plant takes in the nutrients it wants from this bacteria and returns the rest to the soil, making better soil as time goes on.
    Since the bacteria have eaten and processed/discarded the fertilizer it eats, the plant is not getting the actual fertilizer, but nutrients from the bacteria.
    Just like you are not eating grass when you eat a cow.
    You are eating the nutrients in the cow itself.
    Fungus works the same way. When you fertilize organically, you feed beneficial fungus that eats harmful fungus. Organic gardens of any kind almost never have fungal diseases, or the insects that are attracted to the easy to digest plant matter. They will go elsewhere to neighboring areas that use chemicals. Insects are attracted to death. Healthy gardens resist insects because they resist disease, whether fungal or bacterial. It's really simple and healthy.

Most do not know this, but the veggies we eat now, grown with chemicals, have under 30% the nutrients they had back in the 1950's.
    Word!!

• @superman38NC
    The word organic has long become a weasel word.
    Because under federal law, anything that comes from the earth can be called organic. Even chemicals come from the earth.
    I'm sure big chem had lobbied for this law.

What you want to ask is, 'Is this product 100% natural'. 'Was it grown with 100% natural fertilizers. Etc.

We see commercials for organic foods and most of it is bunk.

Unless you know the local grower, it's most likely grown in a different country and with chemicals.
    Sad, but true.
    In fact, congress just passed a law stating they don't even have to tell us where something is grown, or processed, to appease their buddies in China.

• I'm looking for natural, whatever you call it. Outdoor is probably as close as I'm going to get on here. I grew semi-hydro and flushed at the end and had none of the side effects I'm experiencing now.

I wasn't saying that organic is the same as petro-chemical. I eat organic food mostly because it tastes so much better, but also I know it is healthier for the body. same thing with weed, except the effect of the chemicals is more apparent. And I'm a vaper.

• edited June 2020

@Ant123, last year's fall harvest had multiple organically grown strains. Maybe someone else can remember which ones. Lemon Kush was one of them. There's one writer for Loud that really tells it like it is, man.

• That sounds good. I guess I'll have to deal with it until then. I also know that on indoor, if you use a soil-less medium, and "organic" nutrients, and flush - you get a very clean and sweet tasting product. And no throat and sinus pain

• Loud says all of their strains are organic!

• Can you ask them if they are able to reduce the nutrient load on the final product by either flushing the grow pots, or some other method? Do they grow in dirt? I was able to make a nice tincture from what I bought, but vaping is my favorite.

• Its probably dirt. Theres not really a organic hydroponic setup other than an aquaponic system and I doubt they have that for growing cannabis.

• I'm not convinced about the nutrient flush hypothesis frankly. I absolutely believe you @Ant123, that you're experiencing something related to the cannabis, but I have never read any evidence about "flushing." Do other growers complain about this phenomenon? Do tomato growers obsess about flushing? Basil? The phenomenon would have implications for all herbs and produce, not just the ones we smoke, right?

• I read it on the internet, so it must be true, haha. But seriously, I was using a soil-less mixture and applied organic liquid in the water. Plants get to dry a bit each day much faster than dirt. So you apply nutes, each time you water, which is 2-4 times per week.
    The nutes are in the water, so when the plant drinks, and they are very thirsty when harvest is near, they absorb what's in the water. The last 3 weeks before harvest, the plant has finished "growing" so doesn't need the nutes then. I flush with plain water and the plant will use up everything that has been stored over it's lifetime. Kinda like fasting, but that's another disc... Anyway the end result is VERY clean.

• Can you walk into a wine shop and request that the grower flush his grapes before harvest?

• Yes, but don't ask him to shave them

• Yes not to sound like a broken record but this was my point when I say organic doesn't need to be flushed. I have a decent garden thats all organic. All I use is compost or different types of meals such as alfalfa or kelp to build the soil. Theres a lot of people who grow bud with these methods and dont flush. If I could grow bud right now safely these are the methods I would use and honestly I feel like the whole market on cannabis fertilizers is kinda overpriced and gimmicky.

• I'm not really disagreeing with you there. I bet I would enjoy that bud and have no problem with it, most likely. The thing about flushing is you have to use soil-less to make it work. The plant will use up all available nutes and the leaves will turn brown. It may be a small difference from what you are talking about, but the bud is the cleanest possible. Since I'm putting them in, I need to flush them out.

Your plants may not absorb more than they need, which is natural.