Stash Box

Over the last year or two I've rediscovered weed after my time in the military. I've been enjoying getting all of the accessories that go with the hobby and I also enjoy doing some basic woodworking. Im considering combining the two and building my own stash box. Does anyone have any suggestions on best wood type to block smell, design types, or even any builds of their own? Any input would be awesome and id love to see pics of other people's stuff.

Comments

• Over my 10+ years of being a stoner I have messed around with a lot of different stash boxes. Right now I'm personally use an old cedar chest, it measures like 3 feet by 1.5 feet by 2 feet. (I also keep my glass, cleaning supplies, utensils and more in it too) I would say it helps with the smell, but glass jars work better. When it comes to wood I like cedar for 2 main reasons one it helps with humility control, and 2 I love the smell. Idk if a different woods would effect smell better or not. When it comes to design the only thing I would say is have a lid that opens up and down not one that slides open. (Helps with smell better). I can also post a pic of mine when I get off from work

• If you can find it the paulownia or the empress tree. It unaffected by moisture will keep a tight fit and makes some of the most beautiful musical instruments in the world. It's considered a trash tree or a nuisance tree by most ,easy to find in the woods or beside the road . It's easily identified by the seed pods that were once used for packaging.

• edited January 2021

I got 2 homemade boxes.

The one I made uses 3 standard wood 8x10 photo frames. Glass with cardboard in top one (I added a photo to spruce it up), silkscreen in the middle and glass/mirror with cardboard on the bottom. Drill in two grommets as pivot points and a few hinges and a latch and voila. A cheap kiefing box.

The other a friend made by recycling an old wood jewelry box. Inside is a removable silkscreen tray with fitted mirror underneath and a nice sized storage compartment on the side. Since it was a jewelery box it also has a handy slide out drawer to stash more gear. She did good, I like the design a lot. I’ve had it for about 20 years, though don’t use it much anymore since it’s large size makes it impractical for my daily use. I’d wish for one half or less the size.

As far as wood types, imho you need to be wary of fragrant woods (ie, cedar isn’t likely a choice, bamboo seems popular) and that wood storage tends to dry out weed. I also bought a cigar humidor some time ago with a built in hygrometer and slot for humidifier sponges. Might want to Google humidors for design/prep ideas too. There are also some insanely cool custom boxes and rolling trays out there on Etsy and eBay, etc. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

• Check out herbguard.com From wat the website looks great products n smell proof. Sleek designs of jars n boxes n bags. My budget hasn't let me buy anything from herb guard lol but soon.....nice stuff