Question about strains and phenotypes.

I had always thought different strains and their various different phenotypes were just that different. But I've seen (not on here) where some are either listing or referring to particular strains as one thing or another and it confuses me a bit. Let me lay it out and maybe someone with more knowledge can explain better.

I was under the impression that "Larry" or "Larry Bird" was the nickname given to Gelato 33. I recently saw a review of basic Gelato and the person mentioned that it is also called "Larry" and "Larry Bird". Is regular Gelato also known as those nicknames? Is Gelato 33 the same as just "Gelato"? Was the reviewer wrong in saying that Gelato is known by those names?

Also, MAC and MAC 1. I've seen reviews and what not of both. The names seem to be used interchangeably. Is this correct? Is MAC and MAC 1 the samething or two totally different strains.

Comments

• Mac and Mac 1 are different. People like big Al's cut if Mac 1.

• Yeah, that's what I thought. I have had MAC and liked it and the effects didn't cause any adverse side-effects. Didn't want to just buy MAC 1 thinking it was the same thing just because some reviewers were using both interchangeably.

I have only been a regular smoker for around 2 years now and had initially had trouble with certain strains causing too much anxiety and paranoia. MAC was one that worked well for me, so before I bought the MAC 1, wanted to be sure of what it actually was.

• edited June 2021

@NOLA504 There are some great reads on Sherbinski’s work with Sunset Sherbet and Gelato. Gelato is Sunset Sherbet crossed with Thin Mint GSC. He had all his experimental crosses in numbered pots and the most successful became famous in their own right: Gelato #3, Gelato #33 Larry Bird, Gelato #41 Bacio Gelato, and Gelato #42 (aka Larry Bird) and Gelato #45. They are all similar, but different! My favorite is definitely the Bacio, but all Gelato’s are still just Sunset Sherbet x Thin Mint GSC. My local med. dispensary has “Gelato” and even a generic version they call Neon Gem so they don’t have to pay rights. I’m pretty sure this carries over into most strains… especially those that are numbered. I keep reading and learning. 😁😎. As far as Gelato goes, I’ve never had a version I didn’t enjoy!

• edited June 2021

Like @TheProfessor said most numbered strains are back crosses. The numbers keep track of the batches. Like mac1 is just a back cross of m.a.c. but with a higher potency.