States where it is legal medically but not rec.?

I know plenty of folks here come from around the country. Here in Louisiana medical has become more available to more people this past year, along with smokable flower being an option for the first time. The problem is and why that I still buy from places like MM and what not is because our local dispensaries or 1. selling at 18-25$ a gram and 2. have lines that often run a long span just to get in the building. and #3, the variety isnt too great. Has anyone else lived in such an area and seen similar situations? Have prices/lines/variety gotten better over time? Just curious if this is the norm or what!

Comments

• Hey @NOLA504 nice to see you back. Ohio became a medical state in 2017. It wasn’t so great then. But things have improved greatly since. The products are much better and we’re able to get more, but it’s still pretty expensive. The cost of overregulation.🧐

• @NOLA504

Did you know this Nov our state is supposedly voting on recreational use of cannabis?

• edited February 2022

@MigraineWarrior79

I did not know that!

Though, if they plan on having things running smooth they may want to get a handle on the current state of the dispensaries, growers, and overall program. I've read where one of the biggest issues regarding the industry here in Louisiana is the lack of state regulated growers. They only have two for the ENTIRE state. They simply can't seem to produce enough product to meet patient demand.

That's just dealing with medical users. Now, Imagine if the state goes fully legal for med/rec with current system in place. It would be a nightmare scenario.

Do you have a LA state med card? I think I may get one just as an "insurance policy" in the event I ever get hassled but will likely continue to by my stuff elsewhere until the state gets a better program in place in regards to prices, product and the lines don't seem to rival those at Disney World in terms of length!

@TheProfessor

Well that's good to hear in regards to how the Ohio program seemed to evolve to something better than it was in the initial stage it was rolled out. Gives me hope for Louisiana. I don't know why our state decision makers here in Louisiana didn't look to other state that recently adopted similar programs to see the problems that they had early on in hopes that here in Louisiana those same issues weren't a problem!

• @NOLA504

No med card, YET! I'm going to get one soon.
    2 growers for the entire state is just wild, but hopefully, if it passes then things will get rolling.
    Chances are that I'll still get my meds here cause if the price is anything like the dispensaries across our land.

• @NOLA504 wouldn't that be great...but we're talking about politicians, not doctors, scientists, and cannabis experts. Ohio's program continues to evolve and improve (and I am so grateful), but it still has a long way to go. Cost. EVERYTHING (including flower) is pre-packaged and sealed, and the politicians here chose 1/10ths for flower. Imagine 2.83g of "name your strain" in a sealed, charming, heavy translucent glass jar with a childproof lid for $48. You want a half (x5) or an ounce (x10). SMH.

• I live just two and a half hours from Michigan's new Dispensarie so now I can get it all now ,and their prices really low !! 45 for 1 gram live resin Ohio has super high prices !

• @TheProfessor
    Yeah, when I was in California like 2 years ago I bought 1/2 oz and it came in 5 of the jars you are talking about. It wasn't ideal, to say the least. Especially in a time where people are so concerned with excess packaging and landfills are being overfilled, you'd think they would be a bit more eco-friendly with how they package. In fact, of the 3-4 dispensaries we visited in San Diego and LA, ALL of them seemed to have pre-packaged bud (though most had pre-packed larger portions so it wasn't AS much waste). It was my first time checking out legit dispensaries and had always imagined it being places with big jars full of different strains where you could see and inspect the product, pick what you want, and have them weigh out what you order.

@Rella321
    Yeah those prices sound more palatable. The places in Louisiana (or New Orleans, at least) are charging $95 for HALF gram Pax Pods!

• Wow that's unreal !

• Now that speed cameras are going up everywhere (actually license plate trackers) they're deciding to hurt the poor and middle class in different ways.

• @MikeyC
    Hopefully, once more dispensaries open up here and the state enlists a few more authorized growers to create more product to meet demand the prices stabilize so everyone has an opportunity to be treated. I'm thinking that with only two medical dispensaries in my area of New Orleans combined with product scarcity makes it easy for the prices to be jacked a bit. A recent study showed where if the dispensary prices are not within at least 20% of the average "street" price, people will continue to buy elsewhere. So hopefully they abide by that and lower prices eventually.

• I live in a state going through the exact same thing. Our first dispensary opened a few months ago and two since then. I feel like they may have jumped the gun and tried to open as quickly as possible before the market starts to get too saturated because there are a TON of places set to open soon. Our variety of product in each dispensary is SO slim, but the demand is soaring. The pricing isn't terrible. It's a little less than average street pricing and I get a couple discounts as well that sweeten the deal. On the flipside, the variety is so limited, you can only buy 8ths at the moment, so if you're looking to buy quantity, the value drops significantly. I think it's a waiting game for both of us at this point for them to work the kinks out.

• Yes prices need to drop here in Louisiana I paid 110 dollars for a 1 gram syringe in a dispensary 😳