Gummie Doses

edited March 2020 in Questions

I got a Gummie for a freebie and after looking online for info, I figured what better source of information than our own, experienced consumers. The package says "75 mg" so I assume that is the total amount of THC in the gummie. What dose is recommended?

I consider myself a high tolerance smoker. I may or may not be able to smoke Willie "under the table" but I bet I could give him a run for his money. Still, I have practically no experience with edibles. I don't really know how ingesting THC like this will affect me.

I once ate a gummie, and felt its effects, but don't know the dose that was in it. I don't think it was all that strong, the effects I felt were not all that noticeable and the "weird" buzz I felt was a distraction more than any help I might have received.

And many, many moons ago, I experimented with making a cannabutter extract. I used margarine instead of butter called for in the recipe, and allowed the mixture to come to a boil when the instructions said not to do that. The instructions also said not to eat more than 2 cookies at a time when using the cannabutter extract, but who can eat just 2 cookies when you have many more on a plate right there in front of you?

Let's just say that those couple of days were not spent on productivity. ;-)

Anyway, got a tip for me on this? My next order isn't due for a couple of days, and this little square gummie is calling my name. :-)

added Oh, I weigh in at #335 this morning. Yeah, I am a big guy. Also stand at 6"6".

Comments

• My first thought was, "oh my God, cannabutter with margarine! No!!!!!"

But I do entertain your question on a serious level. The gummies I've received say 25 mg or 50 mg. That's more typical than 75 mg., which would be considered a very high dose. For comparison, 500 mg., in the form of this site's RSO, caused me to travel down a wormhole through time and space where I stayed for about 36 hours, watching myself grow old on a television screen inside my mind. I won't say this was a pleasant experience, but I diagnosed myself with a rare disease that weekend, which was eventually confirmed with testing, which my doctor wouldn't order and no insurance would touch. Paid for it myself and got a cannabis doctor from Cleveland to order the test. When it came back positive, I expected people to be impressed. They were not. I now manage my symptoms. By smoking, not ingesting. My guts do not tolerate edibles well.

Anyway.

The edible dosing schedule is confusing because what it says on the label is almost never tested and when it is...I don't trust it. In Ohio, the buds they sell say, in some cases, 31% THC. But they don't get me very high. And I can't comment on my own experience because I don't eat sugar, not even a gram here and there. I will say that my girlfriend tried one of the 25 mg. gummies from MedMama and didn't even comment on it. (I try to remember to request freebie joints but sometimes I forget...) For comparison, a guy named Chuck, he also has a dispensary of sorts, sent some that he was working on trying to develop for sale. He sent me "strong," which I appreciate as a category! One "strong" gummy knocked her out, but not before she had some visual anomalies and weirdness. I can only guess how much THC was in that one.

So, and I should have just led with this, based on what you've written, I will go ahead and state that 25 mg will be like water for you. 50 would be an appropriate starting dose, but 75 mg. would probably be fine.

Not a doctor, of course, but I have to function as one, as do we all. Good luck! And never, please, for the love of God, no margarine ever. In anything.

• For recreation at your weight I would eat it all. Medicinally I would quarter it and snack throughout the day. And George your story sounds like mine, 8 yrs of various doctors and never a diagnosis, then a naturopath doc working out of his house figured out I had lyme disease for 50 bucks cash.

• edited March 2020

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

On the margarine thing: I was 17 at the time, had a few books I had bought from a Hightimes ad, and thought I was Mr. Ganja for a few months, haha. Just to ease your conscience, the recipe called for extracting from stems, seeds, and trim. That was why I made the butter, I had a lot of trash leftover from trimming buds and hated to just keep tossing it into the compost. The way I did it sort of worked, but yeah, a total fubar on my part. :-)

I think I will divide it up into halves, and halve one of those. Start with a quarter sized piece and work my way up from there. From my limited past experiences, I doubt I would want to ingest THC recreationally this way. But I am open to new ideas.

• I've had one of those. I ate it all and it knocked me the f*"k out in about an hour!

• I retract my former advice, based on coldstone's experience...wouldn't want anyone knocked out!!!

• @georgetirebiter To be fair, I never said I didn't enjoy it! Lol.

• I smoke quite a bit and can feel the 25 mg edibles. Sometimes, I use it as a base that I add onto. But I don't think I'd eat 75mg in one shot. I'm sure I'd be fine, but it would be a waste more than likely, just like when I keep smoking when I'm plenty high enough already.

• They work best and faster on a really empty stomach.

• I just ate one that I got from a half of jaeger 50 minutes ago, I feel it creeping up, but it hasn’t totally hit me yet, fyi never taken an edible of any kind before this so I’m hoping it blasts me into space

• OK, I divided the gummie up into quarters which makes them 18.75% THC?

Anyway, here I am about an hour later, and I am starting to appreciate this gummie. No real "buzz" like when I smoke a bowl, but the effect of easing my back pains and arthritis seems to be taking effect. I think I will try another quarter piece now to see where that takes me.

• My results were mixed. While I had some relief, there wasn't enough of an effect for me to say one way or another whether edibles would work for me full time. If I had easier access to gummie production, I might mess around with doses to fine tune the right dosage for me.

Maybe it was my spreading out the dosage. 1 quarter piece, an hour later another quarter piece. Half an hour later the other half of the gummie... and I barely felt anything as far as what I thought I would feel. My pains did ease off for a time, but the lag between the need and the relief is too much for me. I like the near instant effects of "burning the bush."

BTW: the gummie was from Loud. A green, 1" square.

• justaguy, you've described my experience, pretty much, using extracted oils in coconut oil capsules (to avoid the sugar).

No middle ground. Either eat one after another, like chiclets, and get no effect, or go overboard and up in the long lost islands of Langerhans.

• I ate mine in one sitting, barely felt any effects except a buzz for maybe an hour 3 hours in

• edited March 2020

Ok. If you can bear with the calculations...I get 10 joints in a quarter oz the way I roll. That's .7 grams pot in each. If I buy pot that's 22% THC that means each joint contains approx 150 mg of THC. So 75mg is the equivalent of smoking a half joint of 22% pot. For me. Yes, it'll hit you differently eating it than smoking it. But just sayin.....
    I generally do three gummies at once but I've built up a considerable tolerance over the years.