Wearing of MASKS/BANDANAS

If everyone does not start wearing masks soon (including Medicine Man) then that tells me they do not yet understand the EXTREME RISK of person to person interaction !;;;The DISTANCING RULE is total BS when people are talking/sneezing working/visiting etc....Anyone who believes Govt /WHO / CDC recommendations (to not wear MASKS or even a bandana) in public or at work is putting themselves and everyone else at EXTREME RISK!!

Comments

• Define "extreme risk."

• The virus can’t live outside the body for more than 3 days on the most hospitable surface. MM shippers don’t need to wear masks to protect from virus transmission when shipping. If you’re worried, wipe your package down or spray it with Lysol. We’re all going to be ok ☺️❤️🍀

• Here in Texas... #1 cause of spread is actually at the gas pump.

• OK...If you are a checker at a grocery store you are at extreme risk without a mask.

• edited March 2020

I’m a “checker” at a grocery store, they don’t give us masks or gloves, but they’re doing a good job keeping things sanitized 24/7, soap and water kills the virus people!

• edited March 2020

If corona virus kills me, it would be about the 1000th thing least likely to kill me that has happened in my life. The panic is fucking absurd.

What I like are the hundreds of people wearing gloves I see every day who then touch their faces.

• edited March 2020

Another big problem with gas stations and employees at retail/grocery stores is that (from what I've seen around here) they use vinyl gloves that aren't medical grade. Tears and holes can develop in them which the coronavirus can easily pass through since it's at 0.1 micron in size.

The reason the gloves are bad for them is because they take the gloves off and touch their face or other surfaces that they'll touch again at some point, without washing and sanitizing their hands.

Masks and bandanas are mostly only good for containing coughs and sneezes, they won't help too much against catching the virus, but would only lessen the amount that you'd be in direct contact with. Most single elastic strap dust masks won't prevent someone from catching it if they're in direct contact with the virus or in the line of fire of a sneeze or cough as well. They are more for containment.

Respirators N95 or greater would be needed along with a proper fit test to ensure a good seal.

• If it's a concern to you, then don't place your order... otherwise fear is what I fear the most.

• Extreme risk means, running out of pot, and your out of bitcoin.

• FalseEvidenceAppearingReal

• Is anyone old enough to remember the polio epidemic of the early 1950's.?
    I recall not being allowed outside one summer an watching Hopalong Cassidy on a lousy black and white TV. Talk about fun !
    Fortunately I live close to Pittsburgh an was chosen to participate in the in the first trial of the Salk vaccine .It worked an I'm still here at 71yrs old .
    I guess you have to put a value on your life an choose what you you will do to preserve it.
    I've always been a great indoorsman so this staying inside isn't a problem for me I just sit back smoke some Blue Cookies an watch Hopalong Cassidy on a 4K TV .

• edited April 2020

@Katy My question to you: What good are masks when the virus can be transmitted through the eyes? If someone with the virus sneezed and one of the droplets got in your eye from 5 or 10 feet away, you would contract the virus also. We would have to all wear M95 masks AND goggles AND gloves to be effective.

@BigOtis Not me, sir. I wasn't a thought in anyone's mind in the early 1950s, but I do work a retail job where we currently have toilet paper shortages and many elderly customers have told me things like "Back in my day we used the Sears Catalog when we ran out of toilet paper" This generation could learn a thing or two from you old timers.

• I think the masks are more for containing the spread of virus particles to the infected person within their mask and not so much for protection from getting it.

I'm pretty sure my workplace is going to adopt this policy soon.

• @Jdtokes . Your thinking is spot on. Masks can help contain the virus in the mask if you are infected by catching droplets. If you are not infected it is ornamental unless its an n95 mask which they are not. The viral particle is much smaller than the pores on the mask. You just inhale them through the mask. Even the m95 masks must be worn correctly. No facial hair and tight seal or they are not effective. Thats why so many medical staff are ill. They are almost impossible when moving and such to keep them sealed.
    Shout out and Thanks to all medical personnel for fighting this war on the front lines.

• Plus the little filter/respirator on the N95 mask is only good for a few hours of continuous use. People who wear the same one day after day are doing little more than wearing a glorified surgical mask.

• Yeah, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, and Japan flattened their curves by mandating masks. I'm trying to get them to make it mandatory at work, but have been met with 50/50 resistance among the management group.

I would be shit out of luck if I had to wear one to prevent myself from getting it, I have a nice beard going on haha...if push came to shove, I would shave it.

Most articles I've read say covid19 is 0.1 microns so even if people wore them for protection from contracting cv19, it wouldn't help much. But wearing them for containment seems to be the most beneficial.