Homemade edibles question

edited April 2021 in Questions

Lecithin or no lecithin? 1g of distillate is not that much oil, so is the lecithin necessary to make sure it's thoroughly and evenly mixed? For those wondering what the hell I'm talking about, lecithin is an emulsifier and basically makes oil and water bind together. I didn't even know what it was a half hour ago.

I'm getting some vape refill syringes tomorrow and was going to use 1 or 2 of them to make edibles. I think I'm going to use a gummy recipe but just cut it into gum drops instead of buying a mold.

Comments

• Lechitin is for bioavailability as well as an emulsifier. I would use the liquid sunflower kind. If you already bought the granules you need to take the amount you are using (1-2 grams) and like cover them in water for a half hour (tsp) and then mash them up before combining. Otherwise you'd add the lechitin at like 160-170° while mixing with infused oil (vape refill) prior to adding to the jello and gelatin.

• That's really helpful. Thanks! I'll let you know how it works out.

• edited April 2021

I use a thermometer when cooking on the stovetop too- easy to keep it in a range to not destroy more good stuff

Double boil in bowls/metal dishes and can be done in 15 minutes/air out/transfer outside

• edited April 2021

What Mikey said 😁 great advice especially the thermometer and double boiler. I find it really easy to use a small baster or large 💉syringe when I do use molds, beats the hell out trying to use a small ladle or spoon. Sunflower oil also my choice for most edibles, I use coconut oil for mixing topicals.

• edited April 2021

I've been reading a shitload about making my own edibles and think I may have figured out one of the reasons why they do nothing for some people. It's because your body needs to be able to easily absorb the THC and a lot of that has to do with your gut biome. If it's unhealthy, the edibles have a harder time working. Because of this, one ingredient that helps immensely from what I've read is lecithin.

Lecithin is an emulsifier, which will also make sure that the oil will thoroughly mix with the water or juice and not separate. This should make the dosages between different edibles more similar. It also helps your body absorb the THC.

I'm betting that there are quite a few edibles without it and this could contribute to why they don't work for some people. Just a theory.

I'm going to perfect a recipe and post it here. My new hobby! And the good news is that I could probably make them for a little over $1 per 25 mg edible.

• Lechitin granules VS liquid sunflower lechitin is a big difference. You want the liquid sunflower and non gmo apparently.

• @Sixwaychili if you vape use your abv's to make canna butter, twice the high off your own supply. I like to put canna butter on my buckwheat pancakes the natural lecithin allows for better absorption. Believe it or not nightshade vegetables work well also.

• I made some coconut oil last night that finished this morning- mostly a1 yola and what was left in the grinder. Done 100% outdoors and was ready after I woke up. I also made some gummies last night and the wife approved and said it hit in 20 minutes (mct oil empty stomach) and lasted like 5 hours. Loving the Levo loca.

• Has anyone tried micronizing for added absorption? Not a $2000 machine, but more like $150 ultrasonic jewelry cleaner? Just curious.

• @Sixwaychili Ill be following you! I've been trying to make homemade capsules.. been experimenting with lecithin and MCT oil etc. Some definitely work better than others.

• Oh I'm getting close. I've made a few batches without the distillate and I'm ready to go tomorrow. Will post the recipe when done.

• edited May 2021

So here it is.

I bought a gummy mold that holds 2 ml per gummy. There's a lot of math involved here. I wanted to make about 80 25 mg gummies. That requires 2000 mg of THC. Since the distillate is reportedly 88% pure, that is 880 mg per 1g. So that requires about 2 1/4 grams of distillate. 80 gummies times 2 ml is about 3/4 of a cup. So the goal is to get 3/4 of a cup of whatever you are making and then add the distillate to it. There is some waste and I'm tempted to just lick everything that is left over, but I want to be able to function without drooling for a little while yet today.

This is what I ended up with:

1/2 cup of juice (I used blueberry juice because these are going to be named Ricky Blue edibles, long story) I added about 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, but I do not recommend it because the tiny seeds clogged my squeeze bottle a few times. I put the juice and fruit along with 1/4 cup of sugar in a blender and blended for a few minutes. I also tried maple syrup and honey, but wasn't thrilled with the flavor but the antibacterial properties of those sweeteners might make them last longer. I used lemon juice instead. Sugar is also a preservative. Anyway, let me spell out the recipe completely.

1/2 cup of juice
    1/2 cup of fruit (optional)
    1/4 cup of sugar
    2 tbsp of lemon juice (can also substitute citric acid)
    1 tsp of sunflower lecithin
    4 tbsp of beef gelatin
    2 1/4 g of distillate refill
    sugar for coating

Thoroughly mix juice and lecithin and let soak for 2-3 hours.
    Place liquid along with fruit, sugar and lemon juice in blender. Blend well. You can also skip the fruit if you want. Just make sure to add more juice to have enough to fill your gummy molds.
    Warm the distillate so it's easy to work with and mix. I just heated a small container of water to almost boiling and put the refills in there to warm.
    Place the juice/fruit mixture on stove and heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat.
    Measure 3/4 of a cup of this liquid and put in a bowl.
    Add distillate and whisk VERY thoroughly.
    Add gelatin and whisk VERY thoroughly. This will thicken the mixture up quite quickly so perform these steps rapidly.
    I used a plastic squeeze bottle that I bought off amazon to fill the gummy mold with the desired number of gummies. It might be worth trying to make this recipe without the distillate a time or two to get used to it. It's a super cheap recipe since there really isn't much volume to make so don't worry about wasting anything but the distillate.

I put the gummy mold in the fridge for about a half hour to firm up. Remove and roll in sugar. I'm not sure how long these will last, but I'm going to freeze excess, which should work out just fine.

They have the texture of store bought gummies. Most internet recipes do not use nearly enough gelatin so they are more like jello.

• @MikeyC I ended up using sunflower lecithin powder and it was fine. But the liquid would make it easier I suppose.

• I just put distillate on whatever ( typically Oreos or rainbow belts) and eat that. For me edibles seem hit or miss, when I just consume distillate always seems to work. I'm currently toying with the idea of putting drops of distillate on parchment in freezer for "pill" form.

• edited May 2021

@Fallguy I have a suspicion that the edibles may be hit or miss because the mixture is not thoroughly and homogeneously mixed. So you're searching for that edible with the big glob of distillate in it. I could be wrong though. I mixed and mixed and mixed.

I mean think about it logically. If the distillate is all in the recipe and you get high from a drop of distillate, you should also get high from the edible if it's homogeneous.

• Makes sense. I am sceptical on how much thc is really in "grey" market edibles. Also if I have a gram of 88% distillate I consider that 880 mg's. Is this correct?

• edited May 2021

Yes, that is right. The math has to be done if you want any dosage certainty. I just had to assume that the 88% number is correct because I can't go by anything else.

• Anyone who may read this thread, don't use my previous recipe. They get way too hard a few days later. I need to lower the gelatin. They still work though and I'm powering through em. :smiley: