Strains for Weight Loss

Haha kind of a contradictory question, but which strain would you recommend for weight loss?

I was reading that THCV causes appetite suppression instead of stimulating hunger. A few strains I read about was durban poison, willie nelson, and Doug's Varin. Also, girl scout cookies has the same effect due to lineage from durban poison.

I've seen a couple on the site menu that would work but wondered if anyone has direct experience with this. If so, what would you recommend?

When I was smoking 20 years ago, I just didn't eat and that was fine. Now, I seem to get the super munchies and eat haha. I need to stop that. I've been trying to lose some extra pounds but seem to defeat the attempts by eating when the minchies hit.

Comments

• I would presume sativas would be best for that sort of thing. I think of it less as appetite suppression and more along the lines of being able to be distracted by non-food thoughts. Marijuana is also said to affect your metabolism positively, I've read.

Even with munchies being accounted for, marijuana smokers are far less likely to develop diabetes, studies say.

As for munchies, my solution is/was to only have fruits and vegetables on hand. It's surprisingly hard to binge on fruits and vegetables. Good luck.

• @Jdtokes I had quit smoking for a while because of expenses. During this time, I had been trying to lose weight and my scale wouldn't budge no matter what I did. I started smoking again because my anxiety and PTSD is flaring up severely again especially with all that's going on in the world, and I work in a hospital with direct patient care (need I say more). Since I started again, I've stuck with sativa dominant strains and haven't had a strong appetite. Even when I do crave munchies, I find myself not eating nearly as much. In the past 3 weeks since I've started smoking again, I've lost 6 lbs without trying.

• @jeresI0de22Tr @OneLove yeah I've been leaning more toward sativas or hybrids more than indicas lately. Though, for me, they fire up the paranoia and anxiety levels more than indicas. I prefer hybrids though because of this.

I've had some sativas that gave me strong munchies, but not as often as indicas.

I'll try out the fruits and veggies and see how that goes.

• GSC killed my appetite... like KILLED it

• @KannaMannnn I'll have to try that when it's back on the menu. Thanks for the feedback!

• Thinking now, while it didn’t COMPLETELY disintegrate my appetite, the GSC Cart from MM a while back did suppress it rather well. Just enough to hold off for a little while, if I was busy.

• I used to be good at not munching even when im super stoned but thats all changed now. I cant stop munching. Food is so good.

• I believe all strains are good for weight loss. As long as you can control the munchies. The reason you have munchies is that THC triggers the mind to increase appetite. That same trigger tricks your system to thinking you haven't eaten which decreases your insulin levels and allows your body to use excess fat. Therefore, smoking weed and not eating is the way to go. Definitely hard to do...

• @LifeLong14 you explained that perfectly. I know athletes that smoke weed. I used to be one of them, when I had actual discipline. Now I find myself without any. Its this corona stuff. I see no future. With everything going on I feel like whats the point. I just eat lol

• Macarona and cheese making every gain their quarantine 15.

• @MikeyC lmfao!

@LifeLong14 Good explanation! I was pretty aure that was the reason I kept the weight of 16-20 years ago. I was at my lightest and most fit weight when I was smoking 24/7.

I don't know but the strains from the site seem to give me the super munchies lol.

• If you're smoking with some CBD (at least getting some balanced strains), you'll probably have a normalized appetite (after some period of time). Cannabinoids are homeostasis compounds. They bring balance into biological systems, including your own. As @LifeLong14, put it, "all strains are good for weight loss."

The main evidence for this is that cannabis smokers are leaner than nonsmokers--I can't cite the study here--it's been awhile...I'm sure Leafly has an article--but there is some of that kind of noise in the data. No one is searching to find cause and effect for the same reason no one is doing much other serious health and nutrition research on cannabis: You can't patent what's been working for thousands of years.

• Psilocybe cubensis is pretty good for that. And for quitting alcohol

• @nefgreen, tell me more!

I'm a nondrinking alcoholic myself. 34 years I spent trying to solve solutionless mysteries inside pretty glass bottles. Dying at the end of it for all that effort.

I don't crave the drink now, strangely. It's taken less than a year to completely go away. And my girlfriend still drinks wine.

Thank you, gracious cannabis.

• edited June 2020

It's kind of amazing how alcohol just becomes a subconscious habit, whether you're drawn to it or not. I drink less because of cannabis, but it's so habit forming that I don't really know what I'd do to fill its place. It's not like drinking tea or water would feel like a suitable replacement. I never really craved alcohol until I started drinking it as a habit. Others just are instantly alcoholics as soon as it touches their lips.

And to loop back around to the OP, drinking alcohol is probably the worst thing for weight issues. There are a lot of calories in it. I've lost about 30 pounds in the last 6 months, but I don't think I could possibly lose the last 10 I should without quitting drinking. I guess I'm thankful I don't have eating issues to add to it.

• Kratom replaced my alcohol habits

• Luckily I dont even like drinking unless its with weed and even then I rarely ever get crunk.

• I've always preferred smoke over alcohol. I like to remember the dumb shit I do.

I hardly drink at all if I'm smoking. And don't drink much anyway.

• @georgetirebiter its good to hear you dont crave it anymore!!! Idk what it was exactly but after having some life changing mushroom trips I have changed a lot for the better and most of that was what I put in myself. I will sometimes drink wine with dinner or a good beer or cider if the time is right but the urge to drink such as getting home after work is all gone. Liquor is the worst too I pretty much dont touch it now and I used to love a dram of good scotch sometimes but I dont miss it at all. It could be that I now realize it for what it is technically...a poison. I feel bad though for the people in physical addiction because it is not that simple as just thinking that.
    I also put a lot more value into the food I eat now. I rarely eat processed food or anything sweetened with HFCS or fastfood either. Pretty much all organic and I grow a lot of my veg now. Most of this I started doing after reading more about agriculture and just how awful our industrial food system is and having these experiences. Naturally the pounds fell off and I feel a lot better and I def dont starve myself either!
    Im not knocking anyone who thinks different but it is life changing when you realize you are putting crap in your body and our planet is weeping at the same time. If anyone is interested more in your food and where it comes from then I highly recommend the book "the Omnivores Dilemma" it CHANGED MY LIFE. I'll shutup now lol

• THC is an appetite stimulant (in general) and THCV is an appetite suppressant (in general). I write "in general" because individual cannabis users may experience different effects.

High THCV strains are still somewhat rare in my experience. Right now, our shippers don't have any that I know of.

The next best thing is to follow your THC hits with CBD. We have some high-CBD strains available and if you follow up with one of them, it will reduce the munchies effect.

• What @medboy says makes sense to me, regarding adding CBD.

• @maryjanelover11 It's good to not get crunk. :-)

• When I first started smoking, I'd get wicked munchies when I smoked. After a while that went away. My parents barely fed me as a child, so I have poor eating habits and a slow metabolism. I'll go a day or three and forget to eat. When I smoke, it will remind me to eat, but not so much munchin. I crave meat. Protein.

• @medboy @georgetirebiter - THCV strains are rare and they really are an appetite suppressant. In my experience, thcv strains are all intense sativa strains - including lamb's bread, durban poison, and black congolese. These sativa strains are great because they have a stimulant quality - totally different effects than sedative Indicas like kosher kush or afghani kush...The lamb's bread and congolese strains are both very racy and will inhibit sleep !!!

• edited June 2020

@BuddyBoy sorry to hear that. Poor parenting is bad. Interesting you say your body craves meat when you are high. My body craves sugar and carbs. Im probably insulin resistant at this point. I love meat too but i dont really crave it when im high. I crave pure fatness and glutony. But similar to you I also eventually stop munching. This shatter and "the one" strain I got from medmama doesnt really make me feel like munching actually. Eat well my friend food is important, specially meat.

• @agingboomerfl, Black Congolese sounds incredible.

I've had Lamb's Breath once, before I knew what I was getting. It blew me away and I've been looking ever since. Jamaican landrace, right?

As for diet, I'll confess to an all meat diet. I was very sick when I came to this site and now I'm not. The cannabis helped, but the diet thing was of primary importance. I wouldn't be here if I ate carbs like a normal person. I have tried it.

• Still very prominent in Jamaica @georgetirebiter . My S/O lives in Jamaica, so I travel there several times a year. Weed quality was always lacking, but there are more indoor growers, actual dispensaries and legit outdoor growers now, and all usually plentiful with Lamb's bread. I love the strain.

• Good to know @OneLove! Would love to visit there.

• @georgetirebiter - Back in my undergrad days (~Summer 1978), I obtained some imported black congolese from a Nigerian undergrad. It was expensive ($75.00 per half ounce - and it was comprised of small black buds with a strong grassy smell). Was told it was the some of the best cannabis ever produced in the Congo region and so it was .. You can view this phenotype under Google images. Only obtained this strain once - and it was a devastatingly powerful Sativa extravaganza ... Based on 30+ sessions, a .5 gm bowl produced a speedy trippy 6 hour + high with intense thirst but no food cravings whatsoever .. When I went into the campus grocery store , my eyes were so red that several clerks commented about my eyes and how obviously stoned I was. Moreover, sleep was difficult if you consumed at 7:00 PM - worked great for writing up my lab reports...

• @georgetirebiter It's a smokers paradise lol. More common than a cigarette. Nothing better than the Caribbean and endless "ganja"