Words of warning regarding flying saucer mushrooms

edited February 2021 in General

For the folks that have given the penis envy mushrooms, or golden teacher mushrooms a try & enjoyed your trip & are considering giving the flying saucer mushrooms a shot, I urge you to exercise caution, here is why:

Psilocybe azurescens aka flying saucer mushrooms belong in a group of mushroom species unofficially called a "wood lover" basically they grow in or around damp areas containing a lot of wood (think fallen trees).

Wood loving mushroom species & only wood loving mushroom species carry with them an extremely unpleasant (to think about & go through) side effect. This side effect is called WLP which stands for wood loving paralysis.

While not dangerous, in a large majority (if not everyone) of people wood loving mushroom species will cause full body paralysis. This effect will kick in 3-4 hours in & last the duration of the trip & will end once you enter the come down.

Also, do yourself a favor & do a google search for "mushroom trip levels". Microdosing is obviously the low end of the spectrum while a trip level of 5 is the high end. With something like penis envy or golden teachers you'll hit a trip level of 5 with no more than 5 grams taking any more than that is simply pi$$ing away money. To get to a trip level of 5 with something like flying saucers, you'll need less than 3 grams. Psilocybe azurescens are 4x stronger than something like golden teachers or penis envy.

So, here is my advice with regard to flying saucer mushrooms:

1. Ensure you have nothing else to do for the duration of the trip (which will last the standard duration so, no unpleasant surprises with regard to duration)

2. Do your best to empty your bladder & bowels before you consume. No one likes to come down from any drug covered in urine & feces.

3. Remember, as with any other type of psilocybin mushroom, the effects are temporary & short lived.

4. Be safe, be smart, relax & hang on. You're in for one hell of a ride.

Here is one final piece of information:

The human stomach works it's ass off to process the shrooms you just ate. The PH level of the human stomach is between 1.5 & 3.5. If you would like to make the workload on your stomach less strenuous (which will basically predigest the mushrooms leading to a more intense trip but one that is shorter by 2-3 hours give or take) then do the following:

1. Grab an herb grinder which is either brand new or cleaned with soap and water. Also get a bottle of lemon or lime juice, shrooms (obviously) & a clean shot glass or just a regular drinking glass.

2. Grind up the shrooms as fine as possible & place the ground up shrooms in your shot glass or drinking glass & then cover the contents of the glass with your preferred juice & let it sit for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.

3. After 15-20 minutes have passed, take your shot or drink your lemon or lime juice & enjoy.

I would not use the lemon or lime juice trick with the flying saucer mushrooms or any other "wood loving" species. Hopefully, it's clear why, but if it's not, you don't want to make an already intense trip more intense especially given the fact that the "flying saucer mushrooms" are the most potent on the entire planet (our planet anyway) I would be genuinely nervous if the "flying saucer" mushrooms were ever genetically modified to increase potency.

To close, I hope I haven't scared anyone away from trying them. You'll be fine, just make sure your bladder & bowels are empty (something I had to learn the hard way). Use common sense, be safe & have fun.

Comments

• edited February 2021

@PCT90 Have you (or anyone else) received these?

I haven't had a chance to order any yet.

With respect to paralysis, it's my understanding that's a rare occurrence. It does not occur in a "majority" of people. If it did people would not take them. Maybe that was a typo? I read stuff on the Shroomery forums and it's not even a major discussion topic.

I'll quote from a very informative article about this strain, below, bold emphasis mine:

"In recent years there has been increasing discussions in forums such as The Shroomery, and Facebook groups dedicated to Psilocybe identification about what is referred to as Wood Lovers Paralysis (WLP), caused by psilocybin mushrooms that grow exclusively on wood. There are reports that some people experience a loss of muscle strength and motor control that can persist into the following day."
    https://doubleblindmag.com/psilocybe-azurescens-this-magic-mushroom-is-stronger-than-what-youre-used-to/

So while a warning is in order...more information is necessary.

I look forward to learning about this new potent medicine!

• @georgetirebiter I have not received my order of these yet but I have tried this particular type of mushroom before. As for WLP being present in a majority of people, that wasn't a typeo it was simply accidental misinformation.

• Got it, thank you for clarifying @PCT90. I put my order in today! What I want to know is whether the WLP can happen with cultivated versions of this mushroom. These are cultivated, right? Paging @medboy, please.

• edited February 2021

@georgetirebiter I think I found the answer to this question while researching WLP.
    "Black rot is a reasonable potential cause of WLP. The black rot is much more prevalent on wood-loving mushrooms like Psilocybe cyanesens and Psilocybe azurescens. These mushrooms are often harvested outdoors where they are likely to encounter microbes. This would explain why there are relatively few (if any) reports of WLP arising from indoor cultivated mushrooms such as Psilocybe cubensis. Arguably, controlled indoor conditions prevent contamination. Ultimately, preventing the contamination prevents the occurrence of WLP."
    Source: https://psychedelicreview.com/wood-lover-paralysis-black-rot/
    PS: Do keep in mind, the "black rot" hypothesis is just that; a hypothesis. There's still no real evidence that black rot from this type of shroom being grown outdoors is the cause of WLP. Although it would make an awful lot of sense.

• @Stab_Snipers It's a good hypothesis. I was thinking something akin to the coloration of flamingos...that they get the paralysis compound (like flamingoes get the pink pigment) from their food source. Again: Speculation!

• @medmama want to weigh in on this?

• I do know that azurescens are for more experienced psychonauts. The side effects (ie emesis) are more likely than with cubes. Dosing is less too. I’ve read they are a good choice for microdosing. I’ve resisted the urge to try them personally.

Here’s a good overview:
    https://doubleblindmag.com/psilocybe-azurescens-this-magic-mushroom-is-stronger-than-what-youre-used-to/

• I'm willing to bet these things are grown indoors, and there are few reports of WLP occurring from indoor psilocybe azurescens and can probably be attributed to the fact that these babies are so potent. My muscles stiffen up on shrooms regardless, so these things would probably put me in a coma just from the intense trip alone.

• @Stab_Snipers I'm willing to bet you're right. If that is true, I feel foolish even bringing WLP up. Come to think of it, since outdoor grows of anything are susceptible to outside negative influences such as pests or contamination, if the herb @medman has access to was grown outdoors, it's a reasonable presumption that the quality would be moderate to sub par given the fluid nature of again, growing anything out doors & far from the gold we get.

• edited February 2021

@PCT90 Nah, I'm glad you brought this up because I'd never heard of WLP before, and even though the customers here probably have nothing to worry about, it's still a fascinating subject.
    @Moochy You should try the Golden Teachers (if they're even on the menu as of now), these are reported to be good for first time users. I would recommend eating 3 full grams. You won't piss or shit yourself, I promise.

• yeah, i've taken shrooms probably 30+ times, and while i've had a couple unpleasant experiences in there (due to nausea or poor surroundings) , i've never pissed or shit myself, or become even remotely paralyzed at all. :joy:

as @Stab_Snipers said, still a good topic for discussion. :)

• These Flying Saucers look...out of this world. Report this week!

• @medmama Whats you take on this thread?

• My take on the recent Penis Envy shrooms...BLAMMO

• @Moochy that doesn't happen with all shrooms. it just ones grown in environments that contain a lot of wood such as fallen trees.

Something like the golden teachers that @medman gets for all of us or even the taj mahals wouldn't cause that under any circumstances. Those types of shrooms are actually fairly hard to get a hold of (the ones that cause WLP) outside of medman's website because the growing conditions are less forgiving & it's also nearly impossible to grow those types of mushrooms indoors, apparently.

• @georgetirebiter I see what you did there.

• edited February 2021

Here is what they look like.

https://i.postimg.cc/SRMT9R0g/IMG-0748.jpg

They are not particularly strong, from a psychoactive standpoint. Mild, actually. The amount shown in the picture, plus a smaller stem (2 grams total) did not touch me. (Not the normal psilocybin energy.) That said, there were some effects that were decidedly...narcotic. It induced a deep, restful sleep.

• edited February 2021

Tea-making should not be made more complicated than it is. I tear apart the cap and stem and put the pieces in water that's been boiled. I have a number of loose leaf teas that I like to add. Chaga gives it color and tannins to make it a rich, nutritious broth. That's another magic mushroom I highly recommend!

Shroom tea:

https://i.postimg.cc/Sx6Krf7h/IMG-0749.jpg

• edited February 2021

**Mini-review of the Flying Saucers **

First off: These affected me with about half the ZOOM of the strongest of MedMama's mushrooms (Penis Envy).

I took 3 grams in tea. The onset was slow...it was cannabis-like, narcotic stoniness. Unlike cannabis, though, it asked deep questions of me. Gently, though.

Ironically, this mushroom might be the kindest mushroom option for beginners. It looks super cool, also.