Strains Revisited:Something Old and Something New

Longtime MM Customer- With the advent of legalization and the obligatory dispensary trip to Pueblo CO in 2014, returned to sporadic recreational cannabis use after a 32 year break ... have been surprised that progress towards legalization has continued despite the predictable outcry and lies from the Prohibitionists... While an undergraduate in the 1970s , had the absolute best in imported cannabis... would say that that we enjoyed better IMPORTED landrace cannabis and concentrates in the 1970s then in the current era. Will forgive the new generation for their inexperience and hubris.

Without further ado, my top 3 Medicine Man strains are:

Favorite shipper is Medicine Love from Oregon ...

1 Outdoor Maui Pineapple Chunk - 1/2 OZ from Medicine Love (Oregon) - Without a doubt, the best domestic strain I ever experienced - No ceiling on this strain - Authentic Maui Waui cross with Pineapple Chunk - A three bowl session would rate as a borderline psychedelic experience.. Lasted until afternoon 4:00 PM of the next day... Was forgetting my car keys and important phone numbers - A Sativa Extravaganza with stimulant properties (THCV) and vivid colors and music ... Do MM customers even realize that this rare craft cannabis has been available????

2 Outdoor Maui Pineapple Chunk - Another 1/2 OZ from Medicine Love (Oregon) - Without a doubt, the best domestic strain I ever experienced - No ceiling on this strain - Authentic Maui Waui cross with Pineapple Chunk - A three bowl session would rate as a borderline psychedelic experience..

3 Outdoor Maui Pineapple Chunk - Another 1/2 OZ from Medicine Love (Oregon) - Without a doubt, the best domestic strain I ever experienced - No ceiling on this strain - Authentic Maui Waui cross with Pineapple Chunk - A three bowl session would rate as a borderline psychedelic experience..

I ordered yet another 1/2 ounce from Medicine Love but it was no longer available. This particular strain is unfortunately unavailable and unknown... Way Way better than than the excellent Indoor Pineapple Express from Loud

Honorable Mentions - 1/2 OZ of Indoor Acapulco Gold from Loud, 1/2 Oz of the Premium Purple Punch from Medmama (2018 strain), 1/2 ounce of the Exceptional Outdoor Dutch Hawaiian from Loud, and 1/2 ounce of Snow Leopard from Loud

No prejudice against Indica strains but my preference is for Sativa strains... Will be providing my top 3 strains from the 1970s in my next post. The floor is open for discussion ...

Comments

• sorry about the bold text above - nevertheless , will stick to the strain reviews listed above...

Now for my top 1970s strains / concentrates:

1 - Red Honey Hash Oil also known as the "one/ one hit " - a one gram vial of 50% THC red hash oil was $35.00 in 1980 - was the same exceptional experience in 1980 as my initial experience in 1976 - Top Cannabis experience of All Time - Five hits of the oil lasted almost two straight days - wonderful juniper THC taste - A psychedelic by itself - NO after effects just hazy. Somehow I made it to a movie theater to watch Kubrick's 2001 space odyssey - try watching this classic sometime!!!

2 Authentic Imported Maui Waui (1978) - A full oz cost $ 150 in 1978 - Received one top cola weighing 30 grams - took 3 months to finish it all - wonderful volcanic flowers -with pink pistils - one bowl would produce an intense 12 hour speedy high with vivid colors and tactile music...

3 Authentic Imported Thai Sticks (1976 -1980) I obtained the genuine Thai sticks several times during this time period. At the time, three large thai sticks cost about $75, Each thai stick had about 3.5 grams of sensi flower bud with the chocolate flower tops tied to a small bamboo stick. The potency had to be 20+ % THC. Potency was outstanding and impressive. You simply could not smoke more than 1.5 bowls per day. The bud had an earthy pungent smell and was perfectly cured. The intense sativa high from .5 grams lasted about 5+ hours. It was neither speedy nor sleep inducing; great for walking and hiking The current strains available have a similar high but lack the intense quality of the genuine thai sticks. The high was dreamy, cerebral, and focused. Music sounded fantastic - I remember listening to Cream Live Volume 2 " White Room" repeatedly. The dreamy visual effects transported me to the Far East!!. This strain was highly coveted, hard to obtain, and disappeared after 1981....

4 - Authentic Lambs Bread in Jamaica - $50.00 per ounce back then - my Jamaican girlfriend and I smoked two small joints and we were high till 4:30 PM the next day - High THCV content and red eyes - could not sleep until the next night -

Honorable mentions - Green Morrocan Hash, Black Afghani Hash, Original California sinsemilla, and black african congolese (1978 variety), and Panama Red with its intense creeper high

A 1/2 pound of red Columbian was $145.00 in 1978 - wish I still had the seeds..

• Quick correction - it was 1/4 pound - that is , four ounces of imported Red Columbian cannabis for $145.00. Also known as Mojito.. A wonderful high - almost as good as the excellent imported Columbian Gold variety which barely qualifies for my top ten strains from the 1970s ... Hopefully, Jamaica will soon export its wonderful cannabis strains just like its world best blue mountain coffee..

• Med Love has been bye-bye for awhile ,I always received excellent service from ML.

• Great to hear this history. Thanks.

• Thanks for reading .. It's a story worth telling.... Enjoy your strain reviews as well...

• Thanks for the memories. The only one I could relate to was the Maui Waui.

A friend of mine went to Hawaii in '85 and brought back some smoke, but I don't know if it was MW or not. I do know that 6 people passed one joint around, and it made only 2 circles before we had to put it down.

It was an amazing high, and I bought a 1/2 oz from him.

Got busted with it a couple of days later. I figured that after it was all said and done, the 2 joints I smoked from that batch cost me about $135/joint. ($200 fine and court costs/2)

And a night in the lockup. ;-)

(on a side note: about a year later, I was under the center console of my car and found a large roach. But the potency was gone by then. Still, it felt like finding buried treasure. :-)

• I came along after the good times had died--the 1980s.

The only thing we knew about "Maui Wowi" was that it didn't exist. At least in Indianapolis at that time. How could it? My high school Health textbook mentioned Maui Wowie and Thai Sticks as if they were a real thing...

• An ample supply of good Mexican sativa was also available from 1974 to 1976. It was $30.00 for a full seeded ounce - lots of large buds, seeds, and shake . Was known as Guerrero Gold and Michoacán green. Even in high school, Columbian Gold / Panama Red was smoked. One time had couple of hits of Panama Red before English class - the incredible PR creeper high took hold during class - my eyes got incredibly red and my teacher acted like in a "leave it to Kotter" mode. I had a very hard time not rolling on the floor in laughter due to the phoniness / absurdity of the Lawrence Welk generation. Somehow managed to be the valedictorian for my high school class..

• I moved out of my roommate's apartment in college when he bought 10 pounds of that junk you got in the early 90s. At least he gave me a 3 ounce bud.

• Sorry Sixway - This was in the 70s and was definitely NOT the ditch weed you describe - Although not top shelf, the old mexican landrace sativas were similar to today's mid level stock ... there's a reason why acapulco gold and guerrero gold are considered classics - see DJ Short's strains of yesteryear article... these old landrace strains were quality strains grown in the tropical terrior of Mexico's Pacific coast.... if only I had the seeds from these strains ...

• Looks like George has some competition for long and tiresome reviews that seem cut and pasted from old High Times articles or other sources .
    Watch the lumbering syntax.Ask George about
    it.Liked the mentch at the end about being Valedictorian ,nice touch !

• @fatliltabby I love George’s reviews!! Stop being so negative. Just don’t read them if you don’t like them. Do we really need negativity right now.

• sorry fatlil - excuse me for attempting to provide history to the current generation - I wrote all of the comments yesterday from scratch - glad to see that my reviews appear to originate from classic cannabis publications - Let it be said that your comments in NO way NULLIFY or INVALIDATE my cannabis life experiences. In fact, the short reviews posted above do not adequately convey the riches and depth of my experiences. My statements are in no way an exaggeration - the imported top landrace strains / concentrates of the 1970s easily equal or surpass the current crop... they are based on the simple fact that cannabis grows best in tropical lands just like fine coffee.

• agingboomerfl, I appreciate your posts. Good stuff. I've read as many articles as I can find about the "lost" new world landrace strains. We need to send a cannabis ethnobotanist out there on a collecting mission.

• Point being: many anecdotes from the past suggest cannabis was "better" in the 70s. We know it wasn't the THC. But what?

• Appreciate your kind comments..They did send out cannabis enthusiasts - see the Seed Hunters videos on You Tube

• I will! In the meantime, keep writing. Some on this site don't care about all this history, but many do, including me.

I recall pot dealers telling me, in the 80s and 90s, that they had "Panama Red." I saw that the weed looked the same as everything else (Mexican brick). The one thing that was "true" was skunk weed. You could not lie about that smell, that look. It was the best stuff we could get, other than homegrown (which was usually amateurish...often barely cured).

Today, I don't even like skunky smelling weed but I buy it for the nostalgia.

• I'm 72yrs old.I've probably have had more meaningful life experience than you .
    I travelled extensively in Mexico with my father
    who was an ethnomycologist who along with R.Gordon Wasson researched Psiliocybe cubensis mushrooms .
    I remember walking through fields of Torreon Violet and watching the adults smoking large handmade clay chillums packed tightly with what my father called Tampico Blue .
    So those were my beginnings .Since then I've had many adventures travelling the world.
    Since brevity is the soul of wit. 30

• edited April 2020

The Hindu Kush is hardly a tropical land !

• Cannabis is a complex plant with many different terpenes and compounds. The high you experience is not only based on THC percentage but on the awesome genetics behind different strains.. Hawaii, Jamaica, Thailand, and East Africa grow the world's best coffee and the best cannabis. By the way, the world's strongest coffee is Vietnamese -

• Now that George and Agingboomer have had their Java I think I'll take a nap .
    BTW Yirgacheffe is the finest coffee in the world grown only in Ethiopia another place I visited with my late great father on one of his
    scholarly pursuits .

• Fatlil - Hindu Kush is an Indica not a Sativa strain... Different strains produce different effects - I strongly prefer the soaring Sativa high rather than the sedative couch lock of the Indica high. If you like the Hindu Kush , you would really like black afghani hash which produces an even more dreamy sedative narcotic high than the Hindu Kush flower - It will produce deep REM sleep after 4/5 hours no matter what time of day smoked ..

• edited April 2020

I've probably have smoked every landrace strain there is and in the country of origin.
    I didn't say if I prefer Sativa or Indica,as far as Black Afghani I prefer it be opiated.
    Goodnight old men.Pax vobiscum.

• The name of the cannabis you tube series is strain hunters not seed hunters... the individuals shown on the stain expeditions operated a seed company in the Netherlands (Holland)..

• Let's keep it kind here, everyone...