Grinding Buds vs. Smoking Them Whole

Anybody else think that buds "like" to be smoked whole? (At least when using a pipe.)

Comments

• Personally, I just about always use a grinder because it tends to make my fingers ache if I break it down solely without it. But periodically I’ll do it for a Hemp Wrap blunt or something similar.

• I prefer to hand grind when using a pipe, coarser so it doesn’t fall through the hole, and then I use a grinder for bongs/joints, also, I take a tiny nug and plug the hole in a bowl so that all the material doesn’t fall through. Hope this helps!

• pipe man here - do NOT even own a grinder - like the whole buds by themselves ... my metal pipe is carbureted / shotgun - helps maintain the right mix of air and smoke... Works for me - almost all cannabis is sinsemilla now so there are no seeds to worry about..

• I do both. But find ground bud burns more evenly. I wind up dumping stale bowls that still have smokable herb if I leave it in hunks and find myself picking through the ashtray 🤮

• @georgetirebiter in my opinion its always best to grind the bud either with a grinder or by hand or with scissors. like @funkynugz said when you smoke a bud whole you will waste some of the nug. When you grind it you smoke it all and it burns evenly

• The experience of plucking a bud and crushing it slightly between your finger and thumb, then packing it into a pipe's bowl is slightly more satisfying somehow.

That way always works, whereas my grinder will "clog" if the bud isn't cured completely.

• The only time I would throw a whole nug into a bowl is when my friends and I were on the go, at a party, concert, rave, and had no means of grinding our bud, sort of like a last ditch approach to getting blazed. It always worked but wasn't as satisfying and the pipes didn't last as long due to the uneven burn.

• I always grind them first!

• Also, I forgot, when you break up bud with your hands you lose valuable THC crystals to your finger tips, especially when you break up super sticky nuggies. Probably not enough to notice a difference in "high" but still...all those crystals on your fingers could have gone into that bowl!

• I always grind but I use a magnum pen to smoke it. :smile:

• I like to smoke whole buds or slightly taken apart buds sometimes in a bong or pipe. Flavor/experience is different. Almost an appreciation thing. Either way when the buds are handled, you lose crystals, grinder or not.