EB's Initial Review

edited May 2020 in Product Reviews

Ok so I got my homework done so I had enough time to open EB's letter contents and take a closer peek.

EB's packaging. The letter came nice and discreet just as the other's do except the inner sealed portions were not sealed inside mylar. I would prefer mylar because it adds an extra layer of protection in the event the packaging gets damaged, rendering the letter's contents visible. I will say though that there were quite a bit of layers of protection with the packaging, I couldn't easily rip the mailer it was in. That was a relief, but the lack of a mylar barrier was not exactly a good surprise at the time and actually sent some chills down my spine.

The contents inside were vacuum packed together tightly, and was almost flat. At first, I wasn't even sure what the package was until I saw where it was from. I have to hand it to them, it was pretty original!

@medboy & @medman Could we, as customers, request mylar if and when Emerald Budz comes back? It would ease my mind a little more.

Freebie - a nug of girl scout cookies was included as a freebie, the initial smell is pretty good. The nug looks good and wasn't completely flattened like the Thai was, but not really a deal breaker for me. A slight aroma of plywood was present.

Animal Cookies- 3 nugs inside, one pretty large and the other was about half it's size and one smaller dime sized nug. The smell is pretty good and the nugs look pretty amazing. The initial aroma after opening the bag was good and reminiscent of some of loud's. They're thick, dense, and not flattened. Honestly can't wait to try these out. Also, a slight aroma of plywood present. I'm not sure if this was inside the bag or outside the bag.

Thai- Overall not too bad looking. The nugs aren't trimmed up all nice and pretty though. They have leaves on them but it's not too bad. I can see glints of trichomes that sparkle in the light. These nugs were smaller than the animal cookies but still decent sized. The nugs were pretty compact and flattened by the packaging process. There's a peppery woody scent to them that reminds me of plywood. The nugs are pretty damp and sticky. Maybe too damp. I'm now thinking this is where the overall plywood smell is coming from. According to an allbud review and description, "Thai has a distinct lemon scent and flavor, with additional notes of wood and spice present in the aroma." This coincide with the smell I'm getting from inside the bag and the buds directly. Also on that note, there were quite a few comments on that review that pointed out how trashy and dirty real thai looks. I couldn't confirm this with an image search initially, but did find some pics that looked similar to what was in the bag.

Overall the packaging wasn't bad aside from the thai being flattened. The overall smell once the sealed packages were opened was of plywood. Inside the various bags, the smell varied and was different with each. There was a slight plywood smell in all of them though. I am thinking that this could be attributed to the drying process, but since I don't know for fact, it's only a guess. The reason I am thinking storage, is because one of my friends always stored his Folgers coffee in a plywood cabinet, a daybor two after he opens the sealed plastic coffee container, the coffee smells and tastes like plywood lol. Not that great to me but he drinks a ton of it so more power to him I guess haha.
Also, due to the dampness, stickiness, and smell, as well as another member's bad effects experience, I'm thinking there might have been a curing issue with the Thai (I don't know this for fact, just a guess).

I have a plan though for them. I will put them in a small mason jar with a boveda pack and see what they look like after a week or two, or a month depending on its progress. I'm hoping this was the case and I am hoping it will improve them. I also have another plan if that doesn't work. I have some maui wowi terpenes that I might try to use on them, but I haven't exactly figured out how and what method I want to use yet so it's kind of on the backburner until I research it some more.

I didn't get a chance to try them out tonight so I'll try them tomorrow night after work. I'll reserve the 1st comment for the effects review.

Comments

• Reserved for effect review. Thanks

• Thank you for all this detail!

• I can't match Jdtokes, who has just set some sort of record for detail and thoroughness in this Forum's reviews. Thank you again for that.

My order was received today and it explains an Informed Delivery anomaly. The other two shippers have similar … "tags"? This shipper doesn't have the same kind of thing going on. (I'd rather leave it at that.) ID worked, though.

I don't know exactly how many days it took...about 4-5. Distinctive packaging; mine had the mylar, unlike Jdtokes. Maybe they felt his long distance chills. Double mylar, actually. I forgot to disinfect my package. Pray for me.

I'll leave the visual aspect alone. The photos were posted elsewhere (https://medicinemanonline.com/discussion/869/new-strain-thai/p1) and they look like what I received, although the trim job looks better in what I received. It smells like cut grass. At first I catch a hint of exotic Asian spices; then I realize I'm rolling a joint next to the incense burner.

The smell from the grinder is much nicer than cut grass, I notice. Not Nag Champa or anything, but there's more there than I first notice. Maybe nutmeg. I also notice that the grinder is almost useless with this stuff; the herb is a little too wet. The buds are wispy and delicate. I do not find them nearly as offensive-looking as @Letsgethigh420; however, I only bought an eighth. For me, it's a science experiment at this point. I received twice what I paid for--significantly more than 7 grams.

Before talking about how it smokes, I should note that I also ordered and received an "eighth" of Trainwreck (also over 7 grams) and a medium sample bud of Black Diesel. So I'm starting to feel better about my purchase, especially as the effects of the joint begin to kick in.

The Thai herb is probably too wet for a proper joint, but I do it anyway. Once it gets going, it's fine. Enjoyable even. I don't have a lot of opinions on the taste. Herbal. Reminds me of high school. So does the buzz. And I don't mean that as an insult. I don't even know what it means, because I'm kind of high right now.

Conclusion

I paid about $100 and got over 16 grams of cannabis.

I should probably leave it at that, but that's not what I do...

The fake photos (pointed out elsewhere) bother me the most. Plagiarizing words is wrong and it upsets me; however, posting pictures of someone else's product is worse in the cannabis market. People expect plagiarism of Leafly or Wikileaf descriptions. On this site, the photos have been legitimate, up until this point, making it a rare corner of the internet. If that goes away, I feel that we've lost something important here.

But I'm not upset with this transaction, otherwise.

• EDIT: I misspoke about the mylar...forgot mylar is the shiny stuff. No mylar! Double wrapped in the transparent stuff that's hard to cut with scissors...

• Would you buy again ? georgetirebiter

• @tdk329 , no I would not buy the Thai again. I will enjoy continuing to smoke it. The buzz was pleasant. Morning flew by.

I will try their other products, too, but 1/8 oz. tester orders until I find something I really like.

• @georgetirebiter so seems like they sent you and I different packs of thai smh

• edited May 2020

@georgetirebiter Haha thanks for the compliment, I have always been impressed by your reviews so I thought I would do one as well. I've always been a very technical and detail oriented person so my reviews on items always become lengthy. I really need to learn how to be more entertaining though so I can keep the reader's attention for long in depth papers or reviews. Usually long in depth papers are double spaced and double line width so they're not as compact and as hard to follow as a forum post.

Usually when I think I want to make a review and post one, I'm not in the right state of mind to do one haha! On that note, I didn't sanitize mine either, but the "virus" is only supposed to last a certain amount of time on different sufaces. Maybe 4-5 days is sufficient? Who knows. Also, maybe sealing it up makes it live longer...again only a who knows/what if scenario. Either way, I personally, am not worried about it one bit.

One other thing I just realized is that I may not be able to edit my first comment and insert a review, the edit button is gone now.

I agree, now that I think about it, the initial smell of the thai was like cut grass.

The lack of mylar around the 2 sealed vac bags gave me chills but mostly because I immediately went to "damn!, even though there's no smell, I'm really glad that bag wasn't damaged!"

Good job on the review and how it's effects were. I'll test mine out tonight and see what it's like and post here. I really want to try out the other two also, but I need to hold my excitement over those until I've felt the full effects of the thai. I did thst with mammoth and didn't realize the full potential it has because I got impatient and sample two others on top of it.

I'm also hoping that my speculation that it's a curing issue is correct and I hopefully can solve it by letting it sit for a month or two after tonight's initial examination. If I'm incorrect, then I'll try to somehow lightly spray some maui wowie terpenes on them (or apply some to a cotton ball and let it sit inside the container) and let them sit again for a couple weeks to a month. I'm still researching the best way to go about this.

• @Letsgethigh420, maybe they thought better of sending it out so shaggy, and trimmed it up before sending later packages?

@Jdtokes, I know what you mean about feeling the "full effects" before reviewing. I'm of the same mind, but I'm also...well, let's say I have a lot of time on my hands lately...

Now here's a mini-review of Trainwreck

Description (from menu, end of April)

Indoor - Trainwreck
    Trainwreck is a Humboldt classic that takes off like a rocket, and powers you into an outer orbit. This pot is known in the club scene as one that will definitely not couch lock you, but get you energetic enough to go all night. Definitely not for insomnia, but works great for PTSD and chronic pain. Very good for depression. Too up for some, but thrill seekers will be satisfied. This bud is A- quality so we're listing it slightly cheaper.

As with Thai, I received about 8 grams, on an 1/8th oz. order. The buds are small and fluffy. The pistils have a nice color to them, a rich orange. It has a nice herbal smell to it. But it would be unfair to call this A- quality. (I don't even know what that means, but it suggests some degree of distinguished.) If I had to use a letter grade, it'd be C- or D.

The taste isn't bad but the effects are fading fast for me (and they weren't hot to begin with). My feelings may evolve on this, to some degree, but ... I'm not planning on ordering it ever again from this vendor.

So far it's 0/2 from Emerald Budz. Two strains, two "C-/Ds" ...in my book.

• Just got my order 1/2 of Green Skunk. It looks just like the picture in my honest opinion. Smells good too. Seems a little moist still possibly. Curing issue? Will try later and let y’all know how Iike it. I’d put a pic on here, but I don’t know how lol

• I too received my order today Tai and green skunk they were both very moist and honestly looked like the same bud. The tai is trash not at all what I expected
    Now the green skunk even though it’s wet I am feeling nice off of 2-3 puffs
    I am going to cure a little longer and see what happens
    I will only order 1/2’s split from them until we see what’s up.

• @jackalope1978 you can use Flickr or imgur to post a pic. It’s actually pretty easy if I can figure it out lol.

• Smoked last night. High was very uplifting and relaxing at the same time. Taste was very good. I’m sorry to everyone that has had trouble with the new shipper. I really enjoyed this 8/10.

• @jackalope1978, your pic looks like decent herb.

My "Outdoor Black Diesel," included as a 1g. sample, also looks decent. Smells nice, too.

A study in contrasts...

• @jackalope1978 you r correct the green skunk not to bad I would agree 7.5-8/10 just too wet needs to finish curing

• I wanted to try out the Thai last night but did not get the chance to because people were up late at my house that aren't normally up late. I ended up vaping some purple 👊 punch instead! I'll have to write something up for that one soon.

This morning, I opened my container with thai and the boveda pack. WOW! Is all I could think when the smell hit me. What a difference in smell and even appearance in a couple days. My wife even noticed the smell was different than when I first opened it and looked it over. I will be trying it tonight. I'm thinking it was a curing issue. I'll see if I can get a good pic too. Now I'm thinking I should have taken one when I first opened it to compare. If it does end up being decent I plan on giving it to one of my friends who is relatively new to smoking. He should be good with that. He tried some mac the other night and it was a little too much for him hahaha.

• Mini-Review: Outdoor Black Diesel (1 gram sample bud)

Only had one gram of it but...damn! Excellent stuff. Reminds me of MedMama's Black Lime OG. It's not pretty but it tastes and smells strongly of gear oil and makes me want to do the antler dance.

Emerald Budz Conclusion

If they hadn't tried to pass off their "A-" herb, we'd be talking about a "promising beginning." Unfortunately, it's a pass/fail marketplace.

• EB will be gone for a good while and when/if they come back we will definitely tighten up the quality control, proper descriptions, photos of the actual bud and I will mention the mylar bags.

• Trainwreck = C-
    Green Skunk =B
    Freebie Black Diesel =B+

• Put in an order from EB Friday, doesn't look like it's shipped, and seeing these problems... Feels like I just smoked some Paraguayan brick weed.

• Hi @medman and @medboy, thanks for the update - Will EB be shipping orders that were placed before their fam fell ill? Wondering if I should order another package for a different shipper?

• @Delaware420 I read on one of these posts that they were going to fufill those orders with one of the other shippers. The orders that didn’t go out. I ordered mine late Thursday night Friday morning and it went out and I got it unfortunately. But they are replacing it.

• @Theboyua cool thanks, you don’t sound too happy with it...

• edited May 2020

Ok so I finally got around to trying out the Thai last night. It's been in a vacuum container with a boveda 62% pack. I'm almost certain it was a curing issue.

The smell wasn't very good or appealing when I first opened it as you read above. After being in the container, the smell and appearance looks a bit different. The appearance is better, but still not as appealing as others on the site. If you zoom in on the pic, the trichomes are slightly visible.

Thai
    https://flic.kr/p/2iYshgq

The flavor wasn't that bad, but it was still too sticky at this point. It's going to need to stay there for a while yet.

The high lasted about 45 mins to an hour (which I would think would be quite longer if cured properly) and was an intense heady high. It was uplifting and slightly euphoric at first. When it started wearing off it was somewhat headachy feeling. I never did develop a full on headache though. This was remedied with a few puffs off my vape of purple punch.

I will retest a while later to see if my theory was correct or not.

• edited May 2020

Next up we have the freebie of girl scout cookies. The pic really doesn't do it justice. It looks nice and frosty. I haven't tried this one out yet but I will soon.

GSC
    https://flic.kr/p/2iYtXkr

Zoom in and look at all those glistening trichomes! Yeah the pic sucks though. I didn't realize it was as blurry as it was.

• edited May 2020

Finally we have Animal Cookies! The smell is amazing and the look is just as good. I'll be trying this one out just after I post this.

The buds are pretty good sized, thick, and dense. They felt a little damp & sticky when I loaded my bat so we'll see what it smokes like.

Upon the initial glance, you see a multitude of dark greens, light greens, and dark red fiery pistils. Upon an even closer look, you can see some trichomes glistening in my piss poor lighting area haha. This one really looks good, I wish EB came out of the gate with them all looking as sweet as this one.

Animal Cookies Pic 1
    https://flic.kr/p/2iYtYHr

Animal Cookies Pic 2
    https://flic.kr/p/2iYso8R

I flipped the big bud in the front so we could see both sides of it.

I will post again what the effects are like a little later on, granted if I'm of sound mind to do so.

Smoke Update
    I'm pretty impressed on this one! It burned slow because it was pretty sticky. At first the effects were really mellow, I was feeling pretty good though. Mood was uplifted and sometimes I found myself laughing for no real reason at some dumb thought or just seeing neighbors different yards and what they have on them.

Whenever I smoke, the color green is always more vivid than normal and seems to stand out, even at night.

Yep, I'm super high.

I must mention at this point it was very difficult for me to even want to try this one right now given an L&C letter came in. Damn.

Also, none of the EB buds even come close to L&C at this point in both smell and visual appeal. I'll also admit that it's really not fair for me to compare the two shippers because of the differences in the two.

Lastly, I won't write off EB yet, I think they have potential. If and when they come back, they will really have to up their game in order to maintain (personal opinion, I didn't get left with as bad a taste in my mouth as others did.)

• I'm not sure if my pics are showing up, if they aren't, I'll link them again.

• edited May 2020

Flikr is making everyone sign in to view "adult content". Don't really want another account to get hacked someday.

I like to use https://imgbb.com/ to post images because you can embed them and not even have an account (probably not here though).