Imported versus Domestic Hashish - A Tale of Two Countries

@Fatliltabby Would like to raise an issue that is rarely discussed by contemporary stoners because it is rare to see either imported flower or imported hashish in the US at any price point. DJ Short and Steve D'Angelo have written extensively on this issue. Landrace flower strains simply grow best in their native terrior (that is, native conditions) whether sativa or indica. Never judge the effects of a strain only by its appearance. The most devastating and speedy sativa strain I ever purchased was Black Congolese in 1978 from an African undergraduate. A half ounce of this strain was $75 at the time (expensive) and was composed of smaller black nuggets with only a few seeds. Judged by appearance alone , the quality of the strain should have been mid level. However, its sativa effects were profound. It was so speedy that it was difficult to sleep until the next night. It produced strong cotton mouth and unbelievably red eyes. Eye drops didn't help - several clerks at a convenience store commented on my extremely red eyes and my obviously stoned condition. This strain was an appetite suppressant and provided a VERY trippy 8-10 hour high... No exaggeration- Shulgin Level 3-4. A few days ago, I watched a National Geographic show on Hashish. There were interviews with Moroccan farmers in the Rif mountains (elevation + 5000 feet) who stated (translated) "All this land is good for is Hashish. It is the only thing that will grow here." For the Hashish lover, it is a great problem to have. This area produces the highest quality gold / brown hashish. I can vouch for its extremely high quality - Moroccan brown or gold artisan hashish. Our domestic hashish pales in comparison to this #1 export crop of Morocco. Hashish provides sustenance for 1000s of villagers. By the way, hashish is still illegal in Morocco - laws are simply not enforced. They showed acres and acres of beautiful Indica flower in the Rif mountains. DJ Short (renown grower) indicated that certain cannabis strains can't come close to the quality of their native terrior - no matter how good the genetics or even in optimal growing conditions. Another example of this is coffee. At one time, the Philippines was a world leader in coffee production. It has the right climate for coffee production. However, their coffee is not in demand at all - they produce a harsh robusta brew. International companies are now investing in acreage in Columbia to produce cannabis - IF it ever becomes legal in more nations. Would like to hear if others have had similar experiences (e.g., FatLilTabby).

Comments

• A little research revealed additional information about this very rare and exciting Black Congo strain
    https://www.tltseeds.com/congo-black/#

• I had some Moroccan hash back in the late 70's, I can still remember the the taste and smell.

I did a lot of coffee roasting in another lifetime and there was a batch from Ethiopia call Harar Horse Lot # 33. This lot had the most wonderful blueberry flavor. And it's all because of the conditions and altitude of where is was grown.

• @antfuzz - Thanks for reading and providing your comments. Unfortunately, the days of imported flower and imported hashish are behind us. Please go to the website I listed above to learn about the exciting heirloom landrace sativa and hashish. That site is the only website that provides a wealth of information about these exciting landrace strains including my top 3 strains of all time: 3 - Maui Wowie from Nihaku Maui Hawaii. 2 - Congo Black, and 1- Longtime Jamaican from MOBAY -The GOAT. Strain. Their descrption of these strains authenticates my personal experiences. If I taught Cannabis 101, their website would be my textbook - especially their mission statement.. Please read it It is well worth your time. Jamaica not only produces the best Olympic sprinters, the best coffee and IMO the best Sativa ever (see the website and learn)

• I'd love to get my hands on that Congo Black! No ceiling effects!!! That's crazy. It would be an experience of a lifetime to try all the original landrace strains. Especially if it was in the area they are indigenous to.

• @Mr4Sher Thanks for reading and for your comments. In this case, the hype is true , especially in the case of authentic Maui Waui. Congo Black. and. the Longtime Jamaican Sativa strain pur hased for me in MOBAY in 1983 by my Jamaican girlfriend. I"m not the only one who has sampled this GOAT sativa strain and we had a 1/2 ounce!!! and I hated flying back to the USA.

• @agingboomerfl thx for sharing that link. Would love to get some of these seeds. The Durban they have looks incredible!

• @superman38NC Thanks for reading and for your comments. Just found that website yesterday - and I finally found a website that authenticates my personal experiences with these strains. Sometimes the legends are true!

• edited November 2022

https://www.tltseeds.com/jamaica/

Amazing write up. Probably the only way you can listen to Bob Marley all day every day. I smoked it once in Jamaica.

When you read how difficult it is to get the tropical plants growing, you can see why it's not available everywhere. Or anywhere...

• @Sixwaychili - Thanks for reading and for your comments. You are correct that it would be about impossible to grow this strain anywhere but on a tropical island. As stated above, I was able to smoke the Longtime Jamaican strain for about 2 weeks in 1983. I was depressed for 2 months after flying back to the US in the dead of winter. Until I ran across this website, I didn't even realize that few people are even aware of the πŸ‡―πŸ‡² strains or the Black Congo strain. I know our younger stoners get tired of me talking about the days of imported strains. Nevertheless, these legendary strains are real with their lysergic trippy psychedelic highs of long duration. Most stoners have never been extremely high for two straight days only on 1.5 grams of flower not concentrate. A story worth telling and experiencing. You too will feel like me or the man on this website.

• @Sixwaychili @MerlinsMagic @LoudnCo Given the discussion above, I finally understand the truth about my outstanding high experiences of past years. It was not my imagination... That was then but this is NOW. Fellow Medman customers , let's request more racy sativas with soaring lysergic highs for the holidays. My experiences in CA this summer indicate that these high quality sativas are being sold in the CA dispensaries sourced by multiple growers. In addition, domestic versions of these great strains have been available on this website from time to time even Acapulco Gold and Maui Pineapple Chunk .

• @agingboomer Alas, sativas of that quality are rare on the board here and if by chance some real Sour Diesel shows up, it seems to disappear very quickly. The last batch of Durban was nice but stateside DPs genetics are nowhere near the original landrace Poison. I would like to see some real Swazi Gold show up sometime.

• @bluedreamer - Thanks for reading and for your comments. Alas, the days of imported cannabis and imported hashish are probably behind us - The export of these cannabis strains / products would function as the # 1 export for many impoverished nations. Your comments about the US versions of Durban Poison are accurate. Lets hope that Loud and Merlin source more sativas for the holidays. All we need is for Hawaii to provide its premium Nihaku Maui Waui grown in volcanic soil using the pink pistil phenotype - smells and tastes like tropical volcanic flowers. Hope it can become a reality in my lifetime.

• @agingboomer With many state legalizations there is no need to import anything anymore. Any demand is being satisfied by what is being produced stateside. If by chance it does get rescheduled, there probably will be a market for those rare and exotic landrace strains that are either hard to reproduce here or just unavailable here.

• Im actively scouting sativas for y’all

• @MerlinsMagic - Thanks for reading and listening

• I totally agree. These plants have evolved over hundreds of years to grow perfectly in their native conditions. You can never replicate the exact weather, sun, and soil conditions. So you can get something close but never the exact same as grown where it it from.

Another problem I see is strains just keep getting crossed together. If this keeps happening we will loose the original old school genetics, and end up with everything being very similar.

I was lucky to get some good imported hash in the early 2000s, never had anything like it since. We need world legalization to be able to get the best of the best.

• My parents (mom 65, dad 68) tell me about their experiences with hashish, Acapulco Gold, & Columbian 'Red Bud'.
    All I know is I want some of those experiences, myself!
    πŸ’š

• Seems like the mid 70s was the time of weed transistion from my observations first from the imported seedy stemmy dirt weed from various areas from Mexico, then Thai stick started showing up in NoCal where I was living at the time after the troops came back from SE Asia. Shortly afterward the sinsemilla flower from Humbolt and the green triangle there started rolling out. After that you didnt see any imported flower anymore. At least wherevI lived. Hash was a different story as the imported blond was plentiful along with a darker black variety that was extremely stoney. Used to put a chunk on a pin pushed through a small piece of cardboard, light it and put a glass over top and let it smoulder. Move the glass to the edge of the table and hit it. Got great rips that way. Fun times...

• Thanks for the history. I had ordered the hash recently and could not understand why it was so different from my earlier experience in the 60’s and 70’s. Now I know why Lebanese hash was always so different from what we have domestically. What I miss most was the taste/flavor and much prefer the dryer texture than the sticky gooey stuff today.

• what a great thread! I lived in Lebanon for 8 years, came back in '14. I only saw flower once and that was because my neighbor had a garden, the Mediterranean climate and a green thumb. Hash was everywhere - so much so that when I finally saw my neighbor's flower I almost fell off my little white plastic chair.