5th Element

Fucking virus. Friday the 13th was the day it became real to me. The supermarkets were full of salmon from the Faroe Islands, and also every manner of bacon known to society. But no toilet paper.

"These people are going to die," I said quietly, to no one in particular. Then I loaded up on bacon and exotic salmon and tried to remember whether I had any paper towels.

Fast forward. It's Sunday. The salmon, fried in bacon grease, was fantastic. Pooping proceeds as normal--for now. And it's a good day to break open a new strain.

From the strain description of Indoor 5th Element, by MedMama: "5th Element is an indica dominant hybrid strain. This super rare beauty is a wonder to behold, especially given its super powerful THC level and full-bodied effects that last for hours on end." I set to test this "hours on end" claim using one of the extraordinarily large buds I received in my 7.2 gram quarter ounce.

The smell is "spicy," but...of course, right? It's not a citrus or fruit-forward strain...not peppery like Wedding Cake or some of those varietals. I realize I do I not have the vocabulary for describing this herb. I go to the Natural Cannabis website for ideas. It says, "True cannabis lovers relish the moment of cracking open a fresh bag of buds and enjoying that first inhale. The aromas of cannabis speak directly to our brain chemistry and when specific arrangements of terpenes are a good fit for you, you’ll know it!" Maybe that's the problem. Maybe my brain is not wired for this strain.

As I'm grinding it, I'm hit by pine. That's it. I look again at the buds. They look great. I don't get why I'm not connecting with the vibe of this herb. I've had this sensory illusion before, with the "chemical" family of cannabis DNA. I don't get the smell and I don't get the high.

I forget about these concerns and smoke it. Woody. That's all I'm getting. At first, I don't get anything at all...then, panicked and terrified. Then high as fuck for hours. And now, yes, it's hours later. Still high. But do I want to be? Not sure.

In conclusion, 5th Element is not for me. It is very, very strong though and the effect does last for hours.

Comments

• Not a daytime strain, this one. That was a miscalculation. I am sleepy now and a bit listless.

Strong medicine, when used correctly, for the right purpose at the right time...this would be best used as a sedative before a procedure, I feel.

• Thanks for the review.

• George,please avoid using lumbering syntax .
    You'll be a better writer for it.
    As always I remain respectfully yours.

• I would say its more a stoney conversational style vs poor syntax, I like it lol!

• George's reviews are the best!

I'm a buyer at a supermarket and let me tell you that I need a few perfect come home after work strains these days to add to my stock. Something that will let me relax, not fall asleep, but also not to get me going. Some kind of an indica leaning hybrid that doesn't put me to sleep if that makes sense.

• edited March 2020

Sixway check out George’s review for Mother’s Milk..it’s Sativa dominant but perhaps what your looking for..

https://medicinemanonline.com/discussion/644/mothers-milk#latest

• I also recommend Slurricane.

• Thanks for the recommendations @superman38NC and @georgetirebiter. I might split a zip of those 2. Or buy a bidet.

• The thing about that Slurricane review...I likened it to "Swisher Sweets." That is an insult to Slurricane. It is very sweet and cherry-like, though, with a Wedding Cake spice.

• UPDATE: Fifth Element has an unexpected benefit for me--better sleep.

For a cerebral experience, I still say "forget about it."

That said, my partner, too, has real sleep issues and no other strain has gotten her thumbs-up. She's tried many prime options that are generally considered "nighttime strains." Two bong hits and she was (mostly) out all night, seven hours. She's had two sleep studies, one of those CPAPs, and so on; her issues have been going on since age 16, now nearly three decades. So if she says it works for sleep, it works on a whole 'nother level...

Because I can no longer afford to simply "convert them to oil," those strains I don't immediately like, I'm trying to catalogue both the good and the bad. A strain this strong deserves more than a "thumbs down," which is why I'm writing this addendum.

I've never used a strain for sleep before; if I ever do, it will be 5th Element.

Thank you!!!

• Great review on 5th Element. It caused me to pick up a zip. I have bad insomnia, sometimes awake for 24+ hours straight while using an indica dom, so I'm hoping for a "sedative" med for sleep

• Sweet dreams, MizterNiceGuy!

• edited March 2020

I'll let you know when LeeLoo arrives!

• Another great review, George. I am always on a never-ending journey to find the best medicine for sleep and sedation. My go-to has been some old Tahoe OG. I got a couple more Zs before Loud ran out, but they were definitely not the same batch. Now, I'm having excellent results with Grape Ape, but I was intrigued by your 5th Element update. After reading your initial review, your "panicked and terrified" statement really concerned me. I deal with anxiety, panic attacks as well as insomnia. I'm wondering if 5th Element deserves a try. I've also developed a careful relationship with Jager as a daytime strain. I received 2 zips back in mid-February and it's awesome as long as I stick to smaller doses. I too have not been impressed with the quality of Ohio Medical flower. I don't currently have a qualifying condition, but I have some friends. Definitely not the quality I've found here, but hey, they can just get in their car and drive to the dispensary.

• TheProfessor, I might have panicked because I was not ready for the almost paralyzing fatigue that I got with it. Now that I know to end the day with it, my opinion has changed--for me, it does that one job really well.

• Sounds like it's worth a try! Thanks!

• edited March 2020

I’m amazed at the comments about ppl needing rest and sedation and trying hybrid strains. Yall are brave!

I personally cant touch anything but pure indica morning noon or night. The “upper” sensation of even a little sativa in the mix and I'm in for a pretty uncomfortable ride. Definitely not sedated or relaxed.

As long as its pure indica, the strain doesn’t matter as much. It does the job of taking the edge off.

• I tend to agree, Joha, I prefer straight indica any time of day, but I've found some pretty good strong indica leaning hybrids that really take the edge off. Tahoe OG is nominally a 90/10 hybrid...one of my favorites...but it's also an older hybrid that has lots of variations and ratios...unfortunately. But I can always count on Grape Ape, Purple Urkle, Granddaddy Purple, Northern Lights, and many others when they're available. I was disappointed with the most recent outdoor Purple Urkle and am absolutely loving the current Grape Ape! HUGE buds! 5th Element seems worth a try though.

• So sad this strain is gone. Logging it in the favorites category. A true beauty.