I hate ID...

123457»

Comments

• I think we're making the same point @Good2Go.

• edited March 2021

I've not seen voting accomplish anything. The rich get richer no matter who wins. Not a single one of them give a single shit about anyone on this board, further than securing your vote over some other asshole.

The problem is that only psychopaths and sociopaths are drawn to politics. No one else wants that kind of power over others.

You may have one or two "good guys" who are never allowed to accomplish anything they want, but that doesn't really change the point.

• Am definitely going to hit 14 days . Nothing showing just label made I no it's not louds fault . Usps is screwd up iv nvr waited this long

• @Moochy, I’m glad you gave them up. I have four dogs and I can take any one of their bowls, WHILE EATING, and none of them would dare bite me, including the Pitt. And I didn’t beat her ass. So yeah, agree to disagree.

• edited March 2021

@Rubygirl816 @Moochy
    Things Ive learned working in an animal shelter:

Like people, every dog is different.

Genetics and breed does matter! Even animal behaviorists take breed into consideration if determining an animal needs to be euthanized for being a danger. In those cases, being a Pitt, Rottweiler, Doberman, or German shepherd is NOT in your favor.

People would surrender their dogs to us for biting all of the time. We would initiate intake over the phone and 8/10 I could make a guess that it was a Pitt and I’d be right. 😢

Always slowly introduce your dog to another dog. There is no way to tell if a dog is dog reactive unless he’s been around another dog. If you continue to have your dog around other dogs after proving to be dog reactive. That’s on YOU!

When pit bull or pit bull mixes are sweet, they are VERY sweet. But when they aren’t it’s trouble.

Dogs are also very sensitive to energies. Child energy is sometimes too much for certain dogs. It makes them feel unsafe.

Idc what kind of dog/pet you have ALWAYS WATCH ANIMALS WITH YOUNG CHILDREN!!!! ALWAYS!!! I have stories that will help you understand.

If they sense that you don’t know what you’re doing or that you don’t have authority... they will not obey. This can manifest into aggression.

Thanks for reading! Btw Where’s my weed USPS?!!?? It’s been 11 days in transit 🤬

• edited March 2021

Thanks for this post, @Higheveryone23.

People are responsible for pit bull traits; it's a population-level thing, the propensity for aggression. We bred pit bulls to have that characteristic--aggression--at a population level. The trait could be bred out, too, over time. There are pit bulls out there that are the sweetest dogs you'll ever meet, and as safe as a golden retriever. Without knowing an animal's history, including the genetics of its ancestors and anecdotal info about its relatives, you cannot know what kind of pit bull you are dealing with.

That's my understanding.

It's a complicated topic and I appreciate your balanced post.

• I was a shelter worker for two plus years with a brief stint as a veterinarian assistant. And while on average 75+% of the pups we took in were pibbles or suspected mashups, I only got bit once.

By a terrier that was 10 lbs soaking wet. Chihuahuas will fukin rip you up too 😆

Thing is I agree with both sides of this topic. There is a point to be made about breeding-in certain negative traits. People have truly abused and polluted the bloodlines. Need to remember though the American Pitbull was once prized as the best ever family dog. Any geezers remember Petey on Little Rascals?

Now the breed or pretty much any big head dog that looks like one is generalized as being a problem breed, just as Doberman and GSD and Rotties (and the list goes on) before them that have also been considered problems over the years. Sad truth is the pit has garnered much more press and spread much more hatred. I’ll attribute a good deal of that to social media. The press hasn’t been too kind either.

Around kids as the post above mentions, no dog should be left alone with a kid under 10 and while it can look cute as hell on Instagram, even well supervised around infants or toddlers shouldn’t happen. Even my best pup gets really weird around little ones. They say dogs have the brains and thinking of a 4 yr old. Add in food and their IQ goes down and their impulse goes up in milliseconds.

With all that said, over time I realized that sadly many shelter dogs are there for a reason. Mostly behavioral issues. For certain breeds (and this may not be a popular statement), it might actually be best to start with a puppy from a reputable breeder rather than adopt an adult pup. Depends on your personal situation and beliefs though of course.